Scheduled Maintenance - Server Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
As you may have noticed ScubaBoard has rapidly outgrown our present server. To meet our new growth we are expanding to a new server this weekend, the first of several planned upgrades. Estimated downtime for the entire process is about 1 hour although it may take longer depending on how smoothly the database conversion goes. Expect the board to be offline for several hours Friday and/or Saturday night as we rebuild portions of our search index. This upgrade should give the site an immediate speed boost but it is only our first step as a part of a larger service upgrade. In the coming weeks we will be networking our site as a part of a larger server cluster to load balance all of our services. More news will follow on this as time continues. Thank you for your understanding and continued use of ScubaBoard!

This upgrade was completed early Saturday morning.

Thanks for the heads-up, and no problem - I gotta' sleep sometime! :D

It would seem that I under-estimated the amount of time required to complete the server move. After about 6 hours of work all of the old data has been transferred to our new server and our domain is not propagating to move to the new machine. So far everything appears to be working properly but please contact a moderator if you experience any problems with the board or the database this morning. Welcome to our new machine!

It looks great, TA!! Everything came up fine, pages load quickly, all is right with the world :biggrin:!! Thank you for all your hard work keeping SB running smooooooothly!

Jennifer

So far things are faaaaaaaaast and we've had a lot of users on too so that's a good sign. Of course most of the configuration comes from the old box so we will be tweaking things over the next few days to get the most bang for our buck.

Yes, I see a major improvement....thanks for the dedication and concern for the enjoyment of the members. You are to be commended!

ygthad:
It is a lot faster .. Great Job..
Seems to be a lot better. Hard to say from my AOL dial-up {how bad is that?!} here in the Wilds of West Texas, but it was like a glacier yesterday, more like maple syrup today.

I woke up in the middle of the night (you'll be an ol' fart someday, you'll know then) and popped in to see how you were doing. I gather you haven't slept yet?

I have a couple of new ideas for my SB wish list, but I'll save them. :sigh:

TechAdmin,

Much faster, not near so much angst while waiting for things to happen!
Thanks!

Tom

Don,
We're doing more changes this weekend so if you have ideas send them over now while I'm still playing around with the software!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom