Scoop on panama (the country)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm taking a trip to Coiba in about three weeks & will be happy to report back on the Pacific-side diving.

I'm taking a trip to Coiba in about three weeks & will be happy to report back on the Pacific-side diving.

I liked Coiba for the reason that it's completely different from the Caribbean diving I was/am accustomed to. However, for a diver from, say, California, Coiba will not seem like a big deal.

gb_williams, do you know what happened to Hotel Angela after the owner died? Sorry this is a bit offtopic but first time I've run across someone thst *might* know the snswer. TIA

I was in Bocas a couple of years ago, but we were staying at Cocomo-on-the-Sea, which is just a couple of doors down the street. Hotel Angela was still open at that time. At that time, it was being run by the late owner's girl friend. I just looked at Bocas.com and it's no longer in the list of hotels. The last reviews on Trip Advisor (which were not very good) are from last year. I'm guessing that it has closed.

I stayed there the first time I went to Bocas. Rooms were the same price as a lobster dinner -- $6.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2015 at 12:56 PM ----------

I hope you enjoy it! I think half the fun of going to Coiba is staying on the island and seeing all the wildlife around you. There are capuchin monkeys, ñeques and vultures around the cabins. In the bay behind the cabins lives Tito the huge saltwater crocodile. You may be able to see the white faced howler monkeys that are indigenous to Coiba and live only on the island.

Diving there is also an adventure. Be prepared for strong currents. I wish I was going back there, too.

Looking forward to your trip report.

Thanks gb, prices were higher when I was there but we were well taken care of. The owner died unexpectedly
within the following year . All we could learn was that his daughter (Angela, hotel named after her) didn't want it, or at least didn't want to run it.

Hello all, just dove Coiba off the pacific side of Panama today... definitely not my worst dives ever, but also not my best as Ive been to a lot of great places in Asia. Here's a trip report of my day

Diving Destinations - The Former Prison Colony Of Isla Coiba

Amy

It's silly to speak of diving on the west coast of the Americas and diving in Southeast Asia in the same breath. SEA is known for beautiful coral, a huge diversity or marine life, etc. However, it would not be silly to mention Coiba in the same breath with the Galapagos or Cocos Island, two world-class destinations.

Too bad you didn't do a multi-day trip where you stay at the ranger station on Coiba Island. I highly recommend that to maximize one's Coiba diving experience.

I did the 3 day trip on coiba. accommodations is not like a 5 star hotel lol. it could be a 2 star,, great food. but the most important is that coiba is world class diving, is in the same system as the galápagos, is not so popular because getting there is not easy.

You're spot on, buton. If you're looking for princess diving and luxury suites, Coiba is not your destination. It is very unique, very spartan, very much off most people's radar (which is fine with me), and very much an adventure that few places can match.

Not retired down there yet, gb? I see your Location still says Smyrna.

Back
Top Bottom