Scoop on panama (the country)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a week in Panama (Coiba, Santa Catalina & Panama City) and PMed the OP a link to my trip report on another forum. If anybody else would like to read it, just shoot me a note.

Overall, I was very impressed with Panama. As with any city, there are parts of Panama City that you don't want to go to, but I always felt safe in the areas frequented by expats, even after dark. It's a thriving city with lots going on.

From Panama City you can get to both coasts fairly quickly. It took us about 5 hours to make the trek to Santa Catalina, but it's a long distance. Round trip transport for 5 people and gear was very affordable. It gets even cheaper if you're willing to navigate the public bus system.

We dove the Pacific side and I was impressed with it. No it doesn't have Caribbean viz. It's the Pacific. It was on par with the Pacific side of Costa Rica (go figure :wink:). We had sharks on every dive, a school of a couple dozen mobula rays pass above us, frogfish, seahorses and a nice close fly-by by a 12' manta, just to name a few things. April water temps were a comfy mid 70's most of the time, although they did vary +/- 5 degrees depending on the site and the currents. We also got to spend 3 days/2 nights staying on a remote island in a national park with the dive sites and surface interval beaches entirely to ourselves. Heavenly IMO.

The draw for the DMs and others who live there somewhat permanently are the big pelagics that move through. We missed whale sharks by a few weeks. Another time of the year big whales migrate through. There's new stuff moving up and down the coast all of the time.

I had a great time and can definitely see going back.

Nice trip report! Which dive operator did you go with, and what did you like/dislike about them?

Only five hours from Panama City? You must have been flying! It takes me four hours just to get to Santiago is there are no construction delays.

We dove with Coiba Dive Center and were very pleased with them. They demonstrated a consistently high degree of professionalism and we never felt rushed during the dives. Most lasted 50 minutes or more. DM Kevin went above and beyond keeping us safe, entertained and informed about what we'd seen both underwater and on land.

Back
Top Bottom