Scored an old Oceanic Datamax Sport.... keep it or sell it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to all this, but found myself in a position to buy someone's whole dive kit for cheap so I did. I was really just hoping there would be some lead in the bag and that the bag would hold my stuff. One of the things I found is an old Oceanic Datamax sport computer, working, with it's consul compass and depth gauge. I have a wrist-mounted computer (Oceanic geo 2) so I'm not sure if there's any reason to keep this thing...is it any good? Looks like it's from 1990(!), original warranty from 1993.

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
Congratulations! You have a reliable workhorse. You win!

I owned one of these for over 15 years with no issues. It has a large, easy to read and understand display.

BUT: It only does air. And you have to remember to push the friggin button every dive (if you do not dive often enough...). Once it shuts off, you have to push the button to turn it on.

I sold mine on ebay just last year. It was still on the original oring with no issues. Pressure tested to 200ft. The only reason I sold it was that it was not water activated and I am both forgetful and lazy. Well mostly lazy.

It rode in my bcd pocket for the last few years as a backup to my trusty ancient uwatec aladin. Bought another aladin on ebay so I sold it off. Well actually, my divebuddy started to nag me about the pile of ebay aladin's I was accumulating so I was forced to sell it in a moment of weakness and undue pressure.

If you dive air, keep it as a backup.

I may dive air some, but hope to be using mostly nitrox. Also, as I upgrade my equipment in the next couple years I'm hoping to get a computer with integrated psi....so that would make my current geo 2 my backup. I guess I'm on the fence, but leaning towards selling it, with some of the other equipment that came with the package (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...ung-regs-octo-good-score-not.html#post7115646) to help pay for my cavern training...

As far as your computer goes, they work, are fairly reliable and easy to change the battery yourself. Nothing fancy, but you probably don't really need fancy yet. I've had a couple and they are nice backups IF you can always remember to turn them on before you stow them in your BC prior to the dive as they don't have water contacts and don't work if you turn them on under water. Personally I would sell it as I have my preferences for computers, but a lot of people still use them and they work just fine.

In response to your other comments about hoping to find lead I will offer a suggestion. Lead is super cheap, just pick some up at a recycling yard for around $1.30/lb which is still cheaper than most people charge on craigslist (average $2-3/lb) and significantly cheaper than retail.

Of all the equipment you picked up the computer will most likely be the easiest to sell and ship as they need minimal servicing. If it works perfectly you could probably get $75-90 for it minus fees/shipping, sometimes a little more if you take it diving with you and take a picture of it working at depth as it gives online buyers a sense of security when buying a used computer. The aqualung micra regs you probably get around $85-125 for the full set depending on the condition, usability and just plain old luck on when you list it. Stick them on a tank and see if they leak or have any easily noted issues. As far as if you got a good deal, if I was buying on craigslist I might have paid between $50-100 for everything and felt pretty good about getting a good deal, any more than that and it's not worth the resale risk to me when you add in fees, shipping, unhappy buyers, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom