Scrapping tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't either. Not worth the risk. Let's face it, new SCUBA tanks are really inexpensive. Safe used tanks are even cheaper. In fact, SCUBA gear is really pretty inexpensive as far as sporting equipment goes. Compare it to, say, golfing or road biking or deep sea fishing gear.

If there is any doubt about a tank's safety, for heaven's sake scrap it and replace it. If you are having money difficulties you can always rent or borrow tanks. This is no place to be cheap!!

::climbs off safety soapbox::

This post had it spot on: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2372885&postcount=5

Using 6351 tanks just isn't intelligent when there's a known issue. The eddy current test won't find every neck crack out, even when used by the best techs in the business. I think AL is going for about 40 cents a pound at a scrap dealer.

One other idea, really big wind chimes, especially if you have a neighbor you don't like :wink:

Yes, Allen is a clever guy. I on the other hand.... have an old tank that I keep trying to figure out how much beer it would hold! :D

CBulla:
Now that, my friend, is what I call a true new use for an old tank!! Hmmmm.... that makes me wonder...

i donated 4 al 80"s(luxfer pre 1988) last year to the upper keys humane society. i believe they recieved 45 cents a lb(they also except cans etc). just a thought,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Hmmm, if you figure out how to mate a scuba cylinder with a beer tap
welllll, you KNOW we're gonna want photos!! :D

I can almost hear it at the LDS now ...
"My 2nd stage is too foamy, can you adjust it for Old Milwaukee?"

SFLDiver:

:rofl3:

Now thats just FUNNY!!!
SFLDiver:

reefman:
i donated 4 al 80"s(luxfer pre 1988) last year to the upper keys humane society. i believe they recieved 45 cents a lb(they also except cans etc). just a thought,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Good for you! When I had a house down there (WAAAH I MISS IT) I used to drop off all my newspapers and cans for them. I frequently saw used tanks in their recycle bin. What a great idea!!

To get the Luxfer statistics on the 6351 aluminum tanks, go to http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/sustainedloadcracking.shtml#q3 and READ what it says. Make your own decision... I've made mine...

Here's a clip from the FAQ section I liked:

6. If there have been so few SLC-related cylinder ruptures, why is there so much alarming information about them on the Internet?

A great deal of misinformation and exaggeration about SLC is attributable to rumors and inaccurate reports spread by word-of-mouth and the trade press, but especially by the Internet, where the proliferation of inaccuracies is widespread and essentially unregulated.

btw... how many steel tanks have exploded? I guess we shouldn't use those, either.

Scuba_Dad:
Make your own decision... I've made mine...

We decided to trade in four old tanks when the program was still on. It was worth it to me for the peace of mind. I repeat myself, but: SCUBA tanks are very inexpensive, don't be cheap at the cost of safety.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom