Scrapping tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvictory

Contributor
Reaction score
I have eight AL 80 tanks which are 15+ years old and which can't now be refilled or re-hydro-ed. Who in S. Fla. buys such tanks for scrap and what is the going rate? Also, does anyone buy the valve stems? What are they worth?

Any info or comments would be appreciated.

Can you no longer get them filled and hydroed because they are 15+ years old or because there is something wrong with them. Here in Ky its pretty common to see 15+ year old tanks. In fact I just bought two tanks that had been setting in a garage for 15 years and they passed hydro just fine. If it's just age I may know some people up here that would want them.

tvictory:
I have eight AL 80 tanks which are 15+ years old and which can't now be refilled or re-hydro-ed. Who in S. Fla. buys such tanks for scrap and what is the going rate? Also, does anyone buy the valve stems? What are they worth?

Luxfer had a voluntary recall of all the tanks made '88 or earlier. They were giving people $50 to buy a new tank if you spend $14 to mail it to them. Some dive shops like Deep Six in Vero were giving you $50 off the purchase of a new tank if you brought in an old tank. I mailed one of my pre '88 tanks back to Luxfer and traded one in at Deep Six.

Most of the dive shops in the Melbourne area are still filling and hydro'ing the pre 88 tanks... but, I know a lot of South Florida shops are not. That really stinks. As long as the tank passes Hydro, it's still good.

You might want to sell them in a garage sale... people will buy them... or bring them up to my LDS and sell them at their tent sale during Thanksgiving weekend.

There were certain alloys that were no good, sorry but I don't know which ones. See which manufacturer is stamped on the tank and call or e-mail them or visit their website.

Just call an aluminum recycler if they are that bad alloy. You missed out on the trade-in. It was pretty sweet but it was so long ago that I just this year had to hydro the two tanks I got in the trade-in.

So far as the valves, maybe eBay? Or trade them in at your LDS when you buy new tanks?

I would not sell the tanks at a garage sale. I like sleeping at night and it would be really mean to do that and stick someone else with tanks that can't be filled.

Sorry that I am not adding any cheerful news to this thread.

The metal alloy used in the pre 88 tanks was 6351 (AA6351). This alloy had a tendency to crack around the neck causing the tank to fail. It was recommended by Luxfer to have tanks visually and eddy current tested to ensure there were not stress cracks on the neck area. They were offering a $50 rebate a few years ago, but that program has since expired.

At our dive shop, and most shops in the Keys, we will not fill any tank manuafactured by luxfered, and that is most of them, that is pre 88. Also the local shop that hydros tanks down here has stopped hydroing these tanks as well.

I've seen a few pictures of one of these tanks after it failed. 1/4 of the top side of the tank came off and blew out. Not a pretty sight, I would not have wanted to be in front of it when it let loose.

Good Diving,

Here's what Luxfer has to say about it:

1. Why is Luxfer sponsoring this program? Is something wrong with these older tanks made from 6351 aluminum alloy?

As long as these older tanks are properly inspected and requalified as required by U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and Luxfer, you may continue to use them. DOT requires that the tanks be requalified every 5 years. In addition, Luxfer requires that the tanks receive a visual inspection by a properly trained inspector and an eddy-current test at least every 2½ years. (Please note as well that an annual visual inspection is a standard practice in the U.S. scuba industry, and Luxfer endorses this practice for all scuba tanks, not just those made from 6351 alloy.)

Luxfer is sponsoring this trade-in program for commercial purposes. The program operates much like a coupon for a commercial product. The intent is to increase demand and brand awareness in the marketplace by offering a trade-in discount on a new Luxfer scuba tank. This trade-in program also enables divers to upgrade tanks made from older- technology aluminum alloy to newer tanks made from Luxfer’s proprietary 6061 aluminum alloy.

And here's the Luxfer link to read more about it:
http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/scuba2003.shtml

If they are recycled, your looking at $3-5 each at a recycle place.. the valves and stems are possibly sellable.

The Luxfer program is over isn't it?

tvictory:

If you cant get them filed or hydroed any more, you could always turn them in to furniture like Lamps, small tables etc.

Just out of curiousity,what is the reason you can not get them refilled?Also, who made the tanks and when?

Just a thought, my tank from '73 passed hydro with amazingly good results: .8ml permanent expansion, out of a possibley 10.0. That is seriously good, less than 1ml total expansion! But it failed VIP with one small possible crack. Not to mention, only one shop locally would touch it, and even if they decalred it fine and said it passed vip, the other shops all said they would not fill it, which actually played a part in my decision to avoid those shops: do I want to shop at places that don't trust other shops? The shop that would vip it has bigger selection, decent prices, the owner is a great guy that has helped me out on several occassions with things, and they are closest to my house. They used some new magnifying thing that according to them was better than what most people use to vip, they couldn't see the crackw tiht heir normal one, only with this higher mag. one. Why would I hsop elsewhere? It seemed to me that the other shops just didn't like this shop.

So I'm tryign to sell the valve for a few bucks. :)

Can you not get them hydroed or filled because they are pre- '88 tanks? If that is the case you can still sell them on ebay for about $40 a piece. Most other places will still hydro them and give what my LCS calls them a "visual plus" inspection and they are good to go. Let me know, I'll give ya some $$ for them and payshipping if you wanna sell them........

Dustin

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom