Scrapping tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad:
6. If there have been so few SLC-related cylinder ruptures, why is there so much alarming information about them on the Internet?

Why you ask?? Because people die when it happens. And it doesn't happen with any other alloy except 6351.

Come to think of it, "so few" is way too many.

I have yet to hear of a properly inspected , by current DOT rules, 6351 tank failing in the field. Chris' case was tragic, but was WAY before this inspection program started. The new rules that take effect in January require evidence of inspection for cracking to be stamped into the tank shoulder at hydro. This takes the relatively "unreliable and untrained" dive shop tank monkeys out of the equation.

The "self regulation" of the SCUBA industry is a joke at best. If you ask why your favorite LDS doesn't accept anyone else's work on 6351 tanks you'll find out just how well that self-regulation works. Some LDSs are even going so far as to refuse to fill ANY tank over 15 years old, including 3AA steels. There is NO engineering or physical justification for that.

FT

I have a very hard time just getting 3600psi in my HP steel tanks.

The local monkeys were more interested in arguing about it than filling it properly.
My wonderful LDS is going to lose a customer soon as my fill card is empty.
Fill Express will be getting the vast majority of my business shortly.

deepstops:
Why you ask?? Because people die when it happens. And it doesn't happen with any other alloy except 6351.

How many steel tanks have exploded?

Scuba_Dad:
How many steel tanks have exploded?

I'm aware of one.

It was in Saint Lucie or Indian River county and shop owner died. However, the tank that blew was an early 70's AMF Voit steel tank w/ a vinyl coating that was not properly VIP'd and out of hydro. The vinyl coating was concealing large pockets of rust. That tank should have never been connected to a fill whip in the first place.

How many can you tell us about?

The notice on vinyl coated tanks went out over 15 years ago. NO vinyl coated tank can be legally hydroed until AFTER the coating is mechanically removed. ANY externally vinyl coated, epoxy coated or powder coated 3AA steel tank with the coating intact is out of hydro and shouldn't be filled. Intact interior coatings are fine for air, but a single chip or bubble inside requires it to be totally removed too.

I've had several of these 72s 'donated' to me after the ruling came out. After figuring out how to get the coating off, and the application of considerable elbow grease I ended up with almost a dozen "reclaimed" tanks. Cost in man hours would have been prohibitive to strip them commercially. I stripped mine while doing something else not requiring my undivided attention over a decade or so.

There have been many steels let go over the years, but all were severely abused and would have been caught in even a cursory visual inspection. This fact started the SCUBA annual visual inspection programs in the first place. Strangely enough the coating issue on the steels of the time was what helped push 6351 tanks as a "safer" and more durable (USD 6351 tanks carried a lifetime warranty) alternative. Costs for AL tanks at the time were actually higher.
FT

FredT:
The notice on vinyl coated tanks went out over 15 years ago. NO vinyl coated tank can be legally hydroed until AFTER the coating is mechanically removed.
You just put a hydro facility on report with that one... just got a vinyl coated '72 back earlier this year with a spiffy new hydro stamp...
I do plan to tumble it :)
Rick

All these old problem tanks... I'll be happy to dispose of 'em for y'all. Just send 'em on down here and I'll take care of it, free of charge.

Rick Murchison
2549 Aimee Dr.
Montgomery, AL 36106

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom