Scrapping tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told by my local dive shop (Ocean Safari) that they would not fill my tank because it was over 15 years old, even though it is not a pre-88. I bought it in 91 or 92. However would VIP and Hydro it if I want. Does anyone in the Miami area fill these? The tank was only filled maybe 100 times over its life. If I traveled or did boat dives I would just rent tanks and for the last 5 years I was a member of a dive club that supplied the tanks for the dive. So this tank was hardly used.

In Pa there was never a problem filling old tanks as long as they were in current hydro and VIP. If I knew the problems I would have just given it away to the dive club before I moved.

ams511:
I was told by my local dive shop (Ocean Safari) that they would not fill my tank because it was over 15 years old, even though it is not a pre-88. I bought it in 91 or 92. However would VIP and Hydro it if I want. Does anyone in the Miami area fill these?

Time to find a new dive shop. Remember to tell them WHY they are loosing your business. Failure to fill a tank approved by the current DOT rules is always their option, but it's YOUR option to not go back through their door unless they can show a very good reason bound by metallurgy or physics why they don't. Its not that they won't fill a 16 year old tank, it's because they are operating without a clue in a sea of reliable information and may cause YOU problems with their willful ignorance on other matters in the future. If they are this dense on simple tank maintenance what gives you the idea they are competent to work on your other life support gear, or suggest suitable purchases for accessories or exposure suits. Best to just spend your dive money elsewhere.

There are lots of dive shops in south FL. Call around and interview a few.

Fill Express in Pompano will fill it with no problem, I'm sure there are others.

FT

FredT:
Fill Express in Pompano will fill it with no problem, I'm sure there are others.
FT

FillExpress will only fill 6351 tanks if they did the VIP+.
http://www.fillexpress.com/library/al6351.shtml

That being said, in Dade county, most shops are part of the Miami Dive Alliance (formerly Miami Association of Dive Operators, MADO) and they have adopted the no-fill rule for tanks 15 years and older.

deepstops:
FillExpress will only fill 6351 tanks if they did the VIP+.
http://www.fillexpress.com/library/al6351.shtml

That being said, in Dade county, most shops are part of the Miami Dive Alliance (formerly Miami Association of Dive Operators, MADO) and they have adopted the no-fill rule for tanks 15 years and older.

Please note that the tanks in question were NOT 6351. If MADO's intent is to exlude 6351 tanks then the age limit needs to grow as time goes by. Seeing as it doesn't it seems to be a restraint of trade deal to force tanks sales or rentals that may fall under RICO rules if a "conspiracy" can be proven. As it is an organization of dive shops that shouldn't be too hard to do. Until then I'd drive to Broward for fills and gear.

Willful ignorance should never be allowed to stand unchallenged!

FT

FredT:
If MADO's intent is to exlude 6351 tanks then the age limit needs to grow as time goes by.
FT

Exactly

FredT:
Please note that the tanks in question were NOT 6351.
FT

Fred - You're completely right, 6351 is not part of the question here. It's simply an AL tank over 15 years old.

I personally don't do business with anyone except FillExpress for fills. I haven't had a fill anywhere else since the day they opened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom