Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what I understand, the original Scuba Mau shop will be getting a new name and will be operated by the current employees and that Mau will be opening a new shop with the Scuba Mau name. That helps clarify what is happening. Thanks.

I think that this should be a new thread. I is not about the accident, which is the subject tab.
Who decides to call what shop what after whom is a different topic.
I could say more but am biting my tongue.
You are, of course, free to start a new thread any time you want. Tongue-biting is not necessary.

Thanks Kevin (xoxo) - I knew this answer but didn't think it was my place to say anything!

I saw Mau last night and he is doing ok and really ready to move on as he deserves to and as he should! I also saw Joseph - he is hanging in there the best as can be expected - my heart goes out to him as well.

This whole thing is so heartbreaking for all involved!

The new dive shop being continued by the remaining crew is the result of Opal signing over the shop before she passed.

I'm assuming this took place after the accident? If so, just out of curiosity, based upon her condition, how would that be possible?
Either way, I'm glad it is working out for all involved.

This is none of my business but I'm curious and not sure I correctly understand Kevin's and Christi's posts. What I'm getting is :
• Mau is opening a new shop called "Scuba Mau".
• Opal's brother Joseph and the employees of the former Scuba Mau shop will rename their shop something else.
Is that it ?

This is none of my business but I'm curious and not sure I correctly understand Kevin's and Christi's posts. What I'm getting is :
• Mau is opening a new shop called "Scuba Mau".
• Opal's brother Joseph and the employees of the former Scuba Mau shop will rename their shop something else.
Is that it ?

Ann, thats the gist of it although I took home that Joseph was not going to run the store as it had been signed over to the Boyz...maybe I misread

The shop was signed over before the incident. The reasons dont matter. It was signed to the senior members of the shop. These names dont matter either. And yes Mau is opening Scubamau part deux. The original shop has not been renamed or told to me yet.
The shop is strong, dms still great, boats runnings, gear being cleaned, fun the most important thing at the shop still strong. So dive there!!
I will be down again in a couple weeks-yeehaa!!!

I wouldn't expect Opal's relative(s) now running Scuba Mau to give up the name easily. It took years of hard work to build the business, goodwill, reputation, client base and customer loyalty. That kind of branding can't be bought, it has to be earned and is valuable.

Ethically, though, Opal's relative(s) really have the weakest claim to the Scuba Mau name, since Opal is gone and Mau (who helped build aforesaid business) has left the dive shop.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect Opal's relative(s) now running Scuba Mau to give up the name easily. It took years of hard work to build the business, goodwill, reputation, client base and customer loyalty. That kind of branding can't be bought, it has to be earned and is valuable.

Ethically, though, Opal's relative(s) really have the weakest link to the Scuba Mau name, since Opal is gone and Mau (who helped build aforesaid business) has left the dive shop.
I just don't know at all. Kevin/Firstdive says "The shop was signed over before the incident. The reasons dont matter," which I presume is factual - so the family may be out? When I was there in August and Opal told me that Mau was out, I asked if she was going to rename the shop previously named for him, and she said no. I think it really would be good to move on to a new name, for example The Boyz Dive Shop, formerly Scuba Mau" as a transition, but that's just my thought. I'm curious as to the why & how but that's up to whoever owns it, to be settled locally. If it was a Texas divorce court involved, it could be different - but they have their own laws & courts of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom