Scuba accident in a swimming pool close to my house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver died due to incident in swimming pool in Amstelveen
That was mentioned in post #1.
One person linked a Dutch article in the Reddit comments that he/she says reads the diver passed away.

rx7diver

Air around the pool is warmer than outside, perhaps that little bit was enough to bring the tank over the "elastic" limit.
Never hear of a tank exploading during use otherwise.
I was 12 when a tank fell and hit the valve on a dive boat near me. The valve went trough a womans head and the tank riped off another guys leg.

It's being investigated by Dutch OSHA, as this happed during a club training activity, which falls under their jurisdiction.

The original Reddit post was from shortly after the accident itself happed, written by a witness to the event. At this point the victim was still alive and transferred to the hospital. Hence the update of him passing away. The post here was either after this happened or updated to reflect it.

I don't have any knowledge of this particular incident but the most common cause of explosions in Europe is fitting incompatible valves. The most common time bomb is putting an M25 x 2 tank valve into a 3/4" G cylinder. It screws in nicely by hand until you get to the last two turns when it goes tight. Some have then tightened it up with a wrench which I am sure distorts the soft brass valve thread nicely. If your valve does not screw in fully by hand, stop and check the threads. Professionals will have gauges to check threads before inserting valves.

Here in Europe the standard, for many years, has been M25 x 2 which has an OD on the tank valve of 24.68 to 24.962mm (0.972" to 0.983").
In the old days we used to use 3/4" BSP. The OD of that valve is 1.041" or 26.44mm and unfortunately there's still a few of these in use. If you need a new valve for such a cylinder ask the local dive shop to source and fit the valve.

In the USA and Australia, predominantly the thread in use is 3/4" NPSM and these valves have an OD of 1.050", 26.67mm.

The person who started that thread on Reddit stated that the entire body of the tank exploded.

I have a little more news, well at least a report that has more info. I have no idea how credible this source is.

According to the Dutch story, the instructor was standing at the edge of the pool and holding the tank when it exploded. Apparently the tank was launched one way and he the other. There is no information on how or why it exploded. The rest of the story mainly focuses on witnesses and the aftermath.

ome have then tightened it up with a wrench which I am sure distorts the soft brass valve thread nicely. If your valve does not screw in fully by hand, stop and check the threads.
I have to remove the valve from my pony for any flight, and I always replace it and hand tighten it before sending it to the fill station, but I usually have to use a wrench to get it off before I go home.
The person who started that thread on Reddit stated that the entire body of the tank exploded.
I am still amazed. Wrong place at wrong time it seems.
It's being investigated by Dutch OSHA, as this happed during a club training activity, which falls under their jurisdiction.
I do hope that we learn the cause.
I was 12 when a tank fell and hit the valve on a dive boat near me. The valve went trough a womans head and the tank riped off another guys leg.
And you still entered the sport?! This thread has me reconsidering.

We always replace tank caps before moving cutting torch tanks on the trailer on the farm, but not around the shop where they were on a cart together. I never thought much about the risk of breaking a valve off of a 2,200 psi O2 tank then. Lucky to survive again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom