Scuba al tank/stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebelmarine62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it ok to put stickers like dive flag sticker on my al tank. I didn't now if it would effect the inspection of the tank or if the dive shops won't pass the visual inspection with stickers on it. Kind of a dumb question sorry

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 04:25 PM ----------

It is a brand new tank

It's your tank, you can do what you want.

There are general guidelines of what needs to be on your tank, i.e. VIP stickers, but no limits to what can be there.

Not a dumb question at all.

Many (most?) of us were trained to remove all stickers when performing a visual inspection, else how could we see corrosion etc under the sticker. Unfortunately, not all inspectors follow this practice. I've even seen some cylinders with more than one visual inspection sticker!

Not a dumb question at all.

Many (most?) of us were trained to remove all stickers when performing a visual inspection, else how could we see corrosion etc under the sticker. Unfortunately, not all inspectors follow this practice. I've even seen some cylinders with more than one visual inspection sticker!

Some tanks i picked up on the weekend had 3 layers of nitrox wrap stickers, then the O2 clean sticker stuck on top of that. How those tanks were properly checked during the Hydro i'm curious about..

But yeah, do what you want but just accept that they may be removed during hydro or vis. Also, it's probably not a good idea to put on anything that looks like a MOD label - i.e nothing with large numbers.

Might as well start a good habit now.....no stickers (except VIS and in some cases MOD) as they "should" be removed for a proper VIS.

In all likelihood no one will care. However, it's a terrible thing to do to the cylinder especially if you dive in salt water. Any blemish will admit salt and fom there it can get to the cylinder and foster corrision. Paint is bad enough but when you add stickers it's just that much more of a salt trap.

A happy alumium cylinder is unfinished.

Pete

Many years ago I put large initials on my tanks SLC 1, SLC 2 etc. We are talking 4 inch high letter stickers. 2 steels and 2 ALs. Both have been through several viz and at least one hydro. Viz at three different places. Stickers still there.

May or may not have been a good idea. But especially on the steels which is what I mostly dive, there are a lot of HP 100s on the boats I dive and it is handy for quickly picking out my tanks on shore and in the boat.

Many years ago I put large initials on my tanks SLC 1, SLC 2 etc. We are talking 4 inch high letter stickers. 2 steels and 2 ALs. Both have been through several viz and at least one hydro. Viz at three different places. Stickers still there.

May or may not have been a good idea. But especially on the steels which is what I mostly dive, there are a lot of HP 100s on the boats I dive and it is handy for quickly picking out my tanks on shore and in the boat.
We've had pretty good luck with permanent ink markers such as Sharpie brand. Rust and dings still show, so it doesn't significantly inhibit inspection.

I put a DAN dive flag sticker with their number on my tanks, makes them easier for me to spot. Also makes their number readily available in case od an emergency. I don't mind if the stickers get ruined. I write my name on the stickers as well but as I really only dive quarries, my tanks don't get away from me like they might on a boat. Do whatever will help you recognize and keep track of your own tanks.

We've had pretty good luck with permanent ink markers such as Sharpie brand. Rust and dings still show, so it doesn't significantly inhibit inspection.

I put the stickers on long ago. Starting to peel in some places. Put backup marks with the Sharpie last fall so dive shop could see my full initials. As you note they work very well on the steels. Have you any experience on how well they do on an AL80 with the smooth color coating?

Back
Top Bottom