Scuba Club at High School

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRomano

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I started a scuba club at the local high school. Its seems to be going well and there are several students involved. I am looking for ideas to raise money. The club would like to take a gulf diving trip and for some this may be a financial problem. Any ideas?

WOW...between the school, boy scouts and girl scouts we have done a ton of fund raising. Some successful, some not so much. Look at what kind of events are happening in your local area and if there are opportunities. A couple of years ago for the Girl Scouts we managed to setup a hotdog stand at the American Heroes Airshow at Camp Mabry. Turned out we were the only refreshment booth. This was one of our most successful fund raising in a short period of time.
Some troops have also been able to sell refreshments in the stands at UT football games.
Look and see what kind of events happen locally where there could be opportunity.

Carrie

Work with a local dive shop to host a Discover Scuba for your fellow non-diving students and families for a small donation or have a underwater marathon-type fundraising event similar to walks/cycling are two scuba related ideas that come to mind.

Depends if you want to work within the diving community.
Raffles with dive gear that donated works well.
(This is often done at dive shows.)

Contact dive manufactures and ask if they are supporting any programs. If your group uses a specific gear hit them up for their marketing department.

Contact the training agency and work the same angle and see if they can assist.

See if a local dive site would allow a divers lake dive and proceeds going to your group.

Since it is high school is this non-profit? If so you can do all kinds of things.

Also, if you are looking to raise funds you might be able to do a booster item at your football games selling products and materials.

Also you can do sponsorship like walk a hons and other fund raising.
Sorry, but it will all take work.
If a number of the family play a sport you could do a fund raising tournament.
For my son's golf group we have the parents pay to play a course and get the course to allow the parents to play for free. Then parents or businesses sponsor holes, and we try to get shops to provide merchandise.

Good luck and thank you for supporting our sport.
Andrew

David:

Congratulations on your club. I recall you saying that you were a teacher. Do you teach at the Alvin HS?

I tried to reinstitute the PEB 1119 Scuba Course at UH. I even offered to teach the course for free. The PE department turned me down.

If any of your club members end up going to UH have them look me up. I'd be happy to help sponsor a club here.

We use to do the mass lawn maintenance routine in high school to raise money collectively.
You advertise that you will deliver / spread manure, till flower beds, mow lawns, deliver rock/gravel/lumber/wood, dig holes, plant shrubs, weed as a group. Do anything a little cheaper than your local landscape artist is going to charge big bucks for and give them a receipt for a little charity donation. It is a high school club, right? And it is going for the collective, right?
That and negotiate a deal for the charter. Clean and wax the boat maybe?

Yes I teach at Alvin H.S. We found one way of raising some money. Maximum Scuba http://www.maximum-scuba.com, is sponsoring an event called "Clean 2 Dive" at 288Lake http://288lake.net, on November 14th and 15th. This is sure to be a fun event. You can learn more about it by visiting the 288Lake web site. Our scuba club will be cooking the food and concessions for this event. If you come out be sure to stop by and grab something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom