Scuba Club Dive Shop Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone happen to know if it's possible to book dives with the Scuba Club dive shop if you are not staying there? They do list their prices for dives separately so it seems like maybe they do.

Yes, you can book your dives with them. They don't pick up at other docks so you would have to get to the resort. We have friends that stay elsewhere and dive with them. Since they book a multi day package they are able to use the lockers on site for therir gear.

Yes, you can book your dives with them. They don't pick up at other docks so you would have to get to the resort. We have friends that stay elsewhere and dive with them. Since they book a multi day package they are able to use the lockers on site for therir gear.

OK, thanks!

Since you are asking this question, you might not know. The SSC dive operation, predominantly tells you were you are going with no discussion. They also use an incremental depth program where even if you show you know what you are doing, it could be days before you are taken to anywhere deeper.

We really like the hotel, but the dive operation not so much.

One advantage though is the unlimited shore diving.

Since you are asking this question, you might not know. The SSC dive operation, predominantly tells you were you are going with no discussion. They also use an incremental depth program where even if you show you know what you are doing, it could be days before you are taken to anywhere deeper.

We really like the hotel, but the dive operation not so much.

One advantage though is the unlimited shore diving.

We've stayed there twice in the past and were so thrilled with just diving in the Caribbean we weren't being picky about the details. Mainly I'm asking because since then we have discovered VRBO and AirBnB and we can stay on the island for a lot less and have our choice of dive ops. My girlfriend has never been on a "cattle boat" or done a giant step entry and just wants to experience it. I don't know of any other ops that use the bigger boats. Scuba Club lists prices for their two-tank dive at $70+tax so if you figure it that way it comes out to about $90/night with their current special assuming lunch is worth about $10 US. We certainly like Scuba Club and it's extremely well set up for diving and the food is good and all but we can take many more trips if we are thrifty.

I stay at SCC when I go. Was 2014 since I've been though. I'm an OW diver and I have never been limited in depth except the 90' rule of thumb they use unless doing Cathedral or Devil's throat.

We have been to SCC 5 times now and we are usually able to be on a small boat with just 6 divers and DM, all experienced. We discuss with our DM what we want to do and make a plan. Sometimes they want us to go to a certain site as another boat is going where we request, but they always accomodate us with our requests overall. We love the DMs and dive op, love that they have big camera tables and you can walk around on boat.
We used to dive regularly with someone else, small 6-pack boats and the beating you take bouncing on those along with holding a camera in your lap just was not good for me. I seriously prefer SCC boats and dive ops to all 5 dive ops we have used in Cozumel (we have been going there for 18 years to dive).

As far as SCC being a cattleboat, I disagree. They do have 3 larger boats, but usually only 2 groups of 8 with 2 DMs will be on them, and the groups are usually all friends from back home, so they want to be on same boat. As I said, when we go, we are usually on one of the 8-pack boats.

I do not personally have any issues with the larger boats and used the phrase "cattle boats" as the description generally offered by the ops with the smaller boats. I enjoy the trips to and from the dive spots, being able to rinse my camera, and have plenty of space to stow my gear out of the rain. It's also nice to have a head especially when my system has not yet become acclimated to the environment. The Reef Star is nice because it has the upper deck which can be very relaxing and with more divers on-board there are more interesting people to talk to.

Both the Reef Star and Reef Diver have the upper decks, which gives you a chance to enjoy the warm sunshine, and mingle and visit with other divers. The other plus I find with these two boats, is there is ample room on the main deck to get out of the wind/weather if conditions are not the best.

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom