scuba death case reopened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi John, great question. I am looking for people who understand scuba diving and can answer more general questions. Especially around equipment/safety procedures etc. Thanks so much!
a good place to start is knowing what equipment she had on - wet suit? 3mm? 5mm?and what her bcd brand and model? what her lead weighting was ? experience level ? number of dives shed done? was ther alcohol or drugs in the blood? theres a lot we dont know - this should be in th coroner report?

a good place to start is knowing what equipment she had on - wet suit? 3mm? 5mm?and what her bcd brand and model? what her lead weighting was ? experience level ? number of dives shed done? was ther alcohol or drugs in the blood? theres a lot we dont know - this should be in th coroner report?
I do have lots of detail from the decision - very keen to speak with experienced divers. Would you be comfortable chatting with me (would be great to get someone local to NZ/ChCh). Would be amazing if you could flick me through a DM if possible? Thanks so much!

It seems interesting that (apparently) nobody drilled into the boat captain about his statement that after 4 minutes, he assumed she was dead.

She was found with a full tank. The boat captain and crew would surely have known she had a full tank. So, assuming she was dead after 4 minutes seems highly specious.

I didn't see any mention of an analysis of the gas in her cylinder. Did I miss that? I also didn't see mention of an autopsy to verify cause of death? I only saw statements that she had no underlying health conditions that would explain her sudden death. Could she have been poisoned? Died of CO poisoning?

Or as simple as she went down with her air turned off (whether on purpose or by accident), drowned, they went down and got her and realized (or knew?) what happened, and then decided to collude in opening her tank valve and dropping her back in, so as to avoid being blamed for sending her down with a closed tank?
It looks suspicious, he could have claimed he didn’t see any bubbles maybe?

Seems suspicious to give up after 4 mins though.

The podcast makes it all look suspcious as Hell, but that is partially due to the limits of a podcast. If you take the time to examine every part of the story carefully (and I have), it is in fact way more suspcious than that.

I will have to listen to the podcasts as Hazel consulted with me about the dive and inquest.

The podcast makes it all look suspcious as Hell, but that is partially due to the limits of a podcast. If you take the time to examine every part of the story carefully (and I have), it is in fact way more suspcious than that.
John, finally got to listen to the podcast on the way to a dive holiday. Very interesting, although I do not know that any real answers were given. I see that I was quoted in the second half of the second episode and you were interviewed. I think everything you said was on target.

I also looked back at what information I provided to Hazel and saw that a lot of what I thought was important was not covered (eg, lack of information about dive computers and downloads from them which would have answered a lot of questions).

My honest view is that they just stuffed up and let an inexperienced diver go down by herself without any care.

My honest view is that they just stuffed up and let an inexperienced diver go down by herself without any care.
That's not my opinion. Her inexperience was relative. I believe I was a competent diver when I had fewer dives than she had. I believe she was already dead when she descended.

That's not my opinion. Her inexperience was relative. I believe I was a competent diver when I had fewer dives than she had. I believe she was already dead when she descended.
the report said she was some 10-12 metres away from the boat , and the next account of events was that she was by the side of the boat getting her reg seen to. One possibility I considered if they had started the boat up and approached her to assist her and hit her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom