Scuba diver found face down in the water at Crescent Bay Beach, unresponsive during rescue efforts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is that @Ken Kurtis when we need him for the coroners report ?

It is recognized the event occurred in bucolic Orange county but one would expect Ken had friends with connections who would supply the gory details.

I personally question if this may or may not have an effect on the dive ordinance -- solo diver washed up on the shore of a very high priced neighborhood that over looks the cove -- nothing like looking out your window at a dead divers body tossing in the surf and no one around to help or identify the victim.

The excitement and joy of living in Laguna Beach - where recreational diving began in OC and the US ..

Sam Miller, 111

I am pretty sure that only a doctor can certify a victim as deceased. Consequently victims are taken to the hospital even if unresponsive for possible revival or certification as deceased.
In California, anyone over the age of 18, who is willing to take on the liability, is able to pronounce death. I've declared more people dead than I care to remember. When I worked in Orange County, we would on a very rare occasion, load someone up that we knew was dead, but that was only to get us, and the medics out of a really dicey situation.

The man was D E A D !

The questions who? what? why? - we all; know where

As I recall a early scientist stated "We learn from the dead "

What can be leaned from this death ?

Maybe "Never dive in water you cant wade in?"

SDM III

Where is that @Ken Kurtis when we need him for the coroners report ?
Much as I appreciate being perceived as all-knowing-all-seeing, I hadn't even heard about this until just now. As this was Orange County, I would have had no contact/input. I'll see Karl Huggins from the Catalina Chamber later today and will ask if he knows anything about this.

- Ken

Well son of a gun !

I thank you for your past efforts

Regards to Karl-look forward to seeing him in March- Have a chat with him about the SLO UW S&R Divcon

SDM III

Here in Texas if CPR is staryed it has to continue until a doctor pronounces the victim dead.
If someone is obviously dead when medics artive they may not start cpr, but if someone else has they have to continue.

Here in Texas if CPR is staryed it has to continue until a doctor pronounces the victim dead.
If someone is obviously dead when medics artive they may not start cpr, but if someone else has they have to continue.
That was our protocol as well. There were some other requirements that are a bit gruesome to explain here but generally if no CPR started we could declare then the RCMP or Coroner's office had to attend to secure the scene and remove the body.

Any follow up? I haven't seen or heard anything, I dive in that area pretty consistently.

@Ken Kurtis
[QUOTE="Ken Kurtis, post: 8415583, member: 50866"

]Much as I appreciate being perceived as all-knowing-all-seeing, I hadn't even heard about this until just now. As this was Orange County, I would have had no contact/input. I'll see Karl Huggins from the Catalina Chamber later today and will ask if he knows anything about this.
[/QUOTE]

Ken
What information did Karl have ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@HBVetera n2312
Stated
" I dive in that area pretty consistently".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before or after you make your third dive of you extensive diving career how about three for the populace ?
!) Trot into the Laguna Sea Sports above Shaw's cove chat with Dave Mansfield for his input
2) Visit the life guards at the life guard HQ on main beach -- just inquire about the event at Crescent Bay.
3) Visit Laguna Beach City Hall and discretely inquire about the event

Report back to this board ASAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am the last member of the early 1960s battle of Laguna Beach which after extensive long term negations between divers and city officials resulted in the Laguna Beach Dive Ordinance. This tragedy is exactly what the ordinance was designed to prevent -- a fully equipped modern divers body washing up in front of multi million dollar homes

What a way to begin the day …
Set on the patio of your dream home and watch the divers bodies wash ashore I
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sam Miller, 111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom