Scuba diver found face down in the water at Crescent Bay Beach, unresponsive during rescue efforts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted the initial report exactly as it is on this local news site which I alluded to in post #5. . . . Although the writing is poor, it sounds like it was the adult male who had scuba equipment, not the good samaritan.
Don't take my comments personally and don't shoot the messenger.

My point is simply that an official report states there was no scuba equipment involved in this fatality. That may or may not be correct. The same report states the victim was found 40 yards offshore whereas the anecdotal info says he floated ashore. Which is true? This may all actually underscore differences in protocols, reporting procedures, experience in dealing with scuba accidents, etc. I'll also remind you that this happened in Orange County. I can pretty much guarantee you that in Los Angeles County, there are pretty good protocols in place among all of the responding agencies (Sheriffs, Baywatch, Coroner, etc.) as well as an exceptional amount of collective experience in dealing with this type of accident, that you would not expect to see these kinds of discrepancies.

- Ken

That's part of the problem with reports and eyewitness statements. In the video where they are giving CPR to the victim you can see that there are no 3-5 foot waves. His scuba gear is next to him so it makes me wonder why there are stories now about him swimming in 3-5' surf rather than scuba diving and being spotted motionless at the surface.

That's part of the problem with reports and eyewitness statements. In the video where they are giving CPR to the victim you can see that there are no 3-5 foot waves. His scuba gear is next to him so it makes me wonder why there are stories now about him swimming in 3-5' surf rather than scuba diving and being spotted motionless at the surface.
Couple of things and again, don't take any of this personally:
1. I look at that same video and see the roiling whitewater in the background and would absolutely say that could be 3-5' surf.
2. Yes, there's a blue tank there, but you don't know whose it is.
3. I've truly do believe that this was competently and thoroughly investigated so it begs the question: IF that gear truly belonged to the victim, how did the official report get it so wrong? (That's a rhetorical question, not that I expect we would have any real answers.)

- Ken

Note my post # 20
@HBVetera n2312
Stated
" I dive in that area pretty consistently".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before or after you make your third dive of you extensive diving career how about three for the populace ?
!) Trot into the Laguna Sea Sports above Shaw's cove chat with Dave Mansfield for his input
2) Visit the life guards at the life guard HQ on main beach -- just inquire about the event at Crescent Bay.
3) Visit Laguna Beach City Hall and discretely inquire about the event
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He didn't perform #1, #2 or #3
Isn't there any one who lives or regularly dives Laguna beach who can check with Laguna sea Sports (#1)
or stop in and chat with the lifeguards ? (#2)….and report your findings ?

SDM

Pretty much nothing. IMHO, 3-5' surf makes it un-diveable from a conditions standpoint and dangerous from a safety standpoint. - Ken

3'-5' is pretty ordinary conditions and when I used to dive there, that much surf was never even a concern to thumb the dive. I wouldn't do it now, but 4-5 decades ago, I never would have thought twice.

3'-5' is pretty ordinary conditions and when I used to dive there, that much surf was never even a concern to thumb the dive. I wouldn't do it now, but 4-5 decades ago, I never would have thought twice.
My question was, what's the point of such diving? I tried this in Florida and in Hawaii and I could hardly see the compass on my hand. It's not that one can't get in and out of water safely but that such diving was utterly useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom