Scuba diving and smoking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any smoker who mentions posts that infringe on a smoker's rights to do as they wish should reconsider their statement in view of the rights of non-smokers to breathe clean air. I have empathy with those who want to quit but have a hard time doing so because of the highly addictive nature of the habit.

There is an aspect of this thread that I find interesting as a long time ScubaBoard participant. We have had a number of threads in the past related to smoking and Scuba. This is the first one I can remember in which there has not been a number of posters insisting that smoking is not a problem and even (ridiculously) that smokers have better SAC rates than non-smokers for some absurd reason related to their lungs being used to working with less oxygen.

In all my years on ScubaBoard, I have entered into many a contentious fray on many a contentious topic. I have had a number of my posts removed, but only because they responded to another post that was deemed inappropriate. I have never had any of my posts moderated on their own merit. The closest I ever came was on a thread much like this. I made a post similar to the one I made above--pretty benign and straightforward, in my view. I received a warning message from a moderator about it. Now that I am on the staff and know how things work, I know what happened. Some smoker had reported my message and complained that it infringed on smoker's rights to do as they pleased by suggesting that what they were doing was not the best thing in the world. In response, a staff member had contacted me to suggest I present my views on smoking in a more balanced fashion.

I wonder if this change is just a chance occurrence determined by who happened to be reading the threads, or if it indicates a change in overall viewpoints.

I did my cert last September, days before my 51st birthday. (Yay!) I had been a smoker since the age of 14, pack a day.

In January I went for my annual. The only issue found was with my red blood cells. The count was high, and the cells were slightly larger than normal. According to my doctor (I am not a doctor) this was directly attributable to my smoking and its impact on my ability to deliver oxygen to my body. As I understand it, CO2 from smoking takes up space required to carry oxygen, so more cells are needed to do the same work. Again, as I understand it, the red cells are supposed to carry CO2 out and oxygen in; smoking interferes with this and results in CO2 being carried in as well, replacing the oxygen it is supposed to carry in.

All other things equal, if each breath delivers less oxygen, it will take more / heavier / faster breathing to deliver the same amount in the same time. The implication is that regardless of your SAC, it can be better without smoking and the CO2 interference.

Among other reasons, having just discovered diving, I was not ready to give it up straight away.

So May 11 was my quit date. I haven't looked back. Champix (Chantix in the US) was my drug of choice, and I had no issues. I was ready.

And I can sate, from my own experience, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. All activity is less tiring to me. My breathing while diving is more relaxed. My air consumption is improving. My blood is returning to normal levels.

A smoker has to be READY to quit. Believe me, I get that. I will never be a holier-than-thou ex-smoker. But that does not mean that I did not always know what it was really doing. Any smoker who tells themselves it is not having an impact is being delusional. It is ok to admit that you understand its negative consequences while continuing to do it. It is your choice. But it is insulting to others when you claim it is either neutral or beneficial. We are all smarter than that.

finally got the chance to visit Scubaboard and must say I'm grateful of all your responses. :)

As they say, different strokes for different folks, I think the concept applies to the aftermath of quitting smoking. My SAC is much better and I feel fantastic now that I'm free from cigarette addiction. I however read some people saying they quit and after a few years they fell right back to the smoking habit! Now that made me a bit worried :( I genuinely hope that wouldn't happen to me (fingers-crossed) But judging on how my tummy turns when I smell smoke and how I get dizzy of the smell, I think there is a better chance of me not regressing.

Once before, some years ago, I had quit for six months. I learned two things from that experience: The first was that with my head in the right place, I can quit. What you can do once you can do twice. The second thing is that there is no such thing as just one cigarette. One was a pack a day again within 2 - 3 days.

Taking these two learnings into my current quit made it easier, and has made me stronger.

Last edited:
gcarter:

Two points:

1. Congratulations on quitting!

2. I thought it was CO, rather than CO2 that interferes with normal red-cell function. CO binds more strongly to hemoglobin than O2 does, reducing the amount of O2 that can be carried.

Dive safe and have fun!

I am on day 18 of not smoking and day 34 of Chantix ($340). Yeah me!

I agree that a smoker has to be ready. They are the only one that can make that decision, no one else, no support group, no wife, no kids, only you. The one thing that does piss me off is that I get ZERO monetary help from the state. I paid these extremely high cigarette taxes for years. These monies went to pay for health insurance programs for the "Children". Okay. They give out free condoms and birth control. Okay Heck they even give out free needles and methedrone to heroin addicts. Now as a smoker what do I get...a freaking phamphlet and a support group. Chantix is Expensive, I have already heard that 'Think of the money your saving from smoking". Not the point. They tax the hell out of you and support other programs with those taxes, they throw you out in the rain, they treat you like a second class citizen and I hear you Dr Bill but when you walk into or apply for and accept a job at CIGAR Bar you leave your non-smoking riights at the door, not use this as a hammer to put them out of business. Must be the Chantix... rant over.

Doubler...Dude...get get some Xanax, trust me, it will help with the anxiety of Chantix. :wink:

It worked for me and my wife. Sorry to hear you are having to foot the hole bill for the Chantix, that sucks.

Rollin,
I'm doing just fine with anxiety. You are missing my point which is they treat heroin addicts better than smokers. I'm not bitching about having to pay the full Monty, the point again is if I was a heroin addict I could get free needles and methadone. Try giving a freaking phamplet to a guy jonesing for his heroin. My doctor honked up my scrip so I had to wait two days for my refill. Do you think I could get one free pill? That would be no because it is breaking some obscure pharmacy law, now if I was heroin addict I just go to the Free clinic and get hooked up. I can afford my own meds and I didn't need a pill to tide me over but again not the point, smokers always get treated like second class citizens even when they are trying to quit. I would get better support from the state if I was quitting heroin.

At the risk of getting political, tobacco companies have a BIG lobby. Sure, they had to pay out a big fine and all, but some VERY powerful legislators get some VERY big contributions from tobacco, and see tobacco as a financial foundation of their state economy. Quitting hits these powerful interests in their pocketbook. Of course they're not going to help you quit.

Heroin, on the other hand, is an import. Quitting heroin helps our balance of trade. Nobody in high places in the U.S. benefits from heroin use, the way they benefit from tobacco use.

Hang in there, and remember: the best way to get back at the people who deny you help is to never smoke again. Good luck to you!

At the risk of getting political, tobacco companies have a BIG lobby. Sure, they had to pay out a big fine and all, but some VERY powerful legislators get some VERY big contributions from tobacco, and see tobacco as a financial foundation of their state economy. Quitting hits these powerful interests in their pocketbook. Of course they're not going to help you quit.

Heroin, on the other hand, is an import. Quitting heroin helps our balance of trade. Nobody in high places in the U.S. benefits from heroin use, the way they benefit from tobacco use.

Hang in there, and remember: the best way to get back at the people who deny you help is to never smoke again. Good luck to you!

The tobacco companies spend billions of dollars a year in the US on anti smoking campaigns.

They do not care if no one in the US ever smokes again, because they make billions more in the third world countries that have a significant population of smokers.

The pharmaceutical company that produces Chantix does have a subsidy program in the US, there is a secondary subsidy program that is a State by State program.

OP Ask your pharmacist, as the commercials say.

Drug addication has beend defined as an illness, and as such there are a significant number of programs to help the sick.

Nictoine addiction has not been defined as an illness.

OP, I smoked for almost forty years. I was one of the lucky ones who suffred no secondary effects, so it was very difficult for me to quit. I used Chantix also, several years ago. My insurance co pay was $35 for two months.

I needed an extra month. The Pharmacist took care of the paperwork for whatever the subsidy program was, and the end cost was only $100.

Has nothing to do with imports or lobbyists.

Last edited:
gcarter:

Two points:

1. Congratulations on quitting!

2. I thought it was CO, rather than CO2 that interferes with normal red-cell function. CO binds more strongly to hemoglobin than O2 does, reducing the amount of O2 that can be carried.

Dive safe and have fun!

1) Thanks!

2) That's why I don't practice medecine! I could well have gotten that detail wrong, but the result is the same - better off not smoking!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom