Scuba diving employment opportunity???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been told that scuba diving can open up employment opportunites. Well short of being an instructor where???? I mean I am a pipe welder and do know that there is welder-divers but what are some other jobs that need scuba divers.

I have been told that scuba diving can open up employment opportunites. Well short of being an instructor where???? I mean I am a pipe welder and do know that there is welder-divers but what are some other jobs that need scuba divers.

Underwater welding is a myth. Of the thousand active divers, only a very small percentage (maybe less than 5 percent) weld underwater. I've been a commercial diver since 1998 and haven't welded a single time underwater since dive school and very very few people I have encountered have either. That's both inland and offshore.

You can make some money as a DiveMaster. Or at the very least get free diving trips. I did it alot in the past, about 10 years ago or more. Not sure what the market is now. I know a guy in central florida who is operating a commercial diving outfit using scuba divers. This is kinda unsafe, but it's decent money. And I have a few friends who are golf ball divers. They seem to make some money that way too.

I have been told that scuba diving can open up employment opportunites.

It can, but if you are wanting to make a career out of diving (whether it's commercial or recreational) then expect to invest a lot of time and money into training and equipment.

Here's the prices of our local comemrcial dive school to give you and idea of costs:

NZSOS - Course Calendar

If you love diving, the kind of diving you are likely to be doing as a commercial diver is hardly going to inspire you... the reality of commercial diving is a long way from cruising around a reef looking at stuff.

Underwater welding is a myth. Of the thousand active divers, only a very small percentage (maybe less than 5 percent) weld underwater. I've been a commercial diver since 1998 and haven't welded a single time underwater since dive school and very very few people I have encountered have either. That's both inland and offshore.

You can make some money as a DiveMaster. Or at the very least get free diving trips. I did it alot in the past, about 10 years ago or more. Not sure what the market is now. I know a guy in central florida who is operating a commercial diving outfit using scuba divers. This is kinda unsafe, but it's decent money. And I have a few friends who are golf ball divers. They seem to make some money that way too.

Mind if I ask...

As a commercial diver, what is your typical day like? I've always been under the impression that underwater welding was pretty common. What else is there? Thanks!

Dan

Well... Typical day... Let me break that into a few categories.... First -- Inland and Offshore.

Inland could be anything from diving nuclear power plants, to water towers, to intake pipes for paper mills. Bridge Inspections, Boat repairs, Hull Cleaning. Prop swaps. Alot of inland work is inspection and cleaning. Cleaning is boring, but building things is fun. I've built locks, dams, bridges, etc. That stuff is cool. But Water Towers, Nuke Plants, Fossil Fuel Plants, Boats, etc., is alot of scraping with shovels and pressure washers. It's laborous and dull.

Offshore on the other hand... Is not alot of cleaning. There's inspections, repairs, replacements. Most of the work I did was burying or repairing pipelines. There's alot of rigging. There's not alot of welding, but alot of burning. Which is very fun. A broco rod that will burn through anything is just plain cool.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom