Scuba Diving Survey Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have issues with a "researcher" publishing results while keeping the methodologies private.

Get over it. It's done all the time.

If you want to put "finger quotes" around anything, put them around your incorrect use of the term "publishing" in your post. ScubaBoard is not a peer-reviewed scholarly publication. I didn't "publish" anything here. I did a survey of divers and then shared some graphs and charts with divers. It's not like I did a study of a cancer drug in secret and then tried to publish positive results in the New England Journal of Medicine without telling anyone how I did the study.

That being said, the research and analytics methodology in question is proprietary intellectual property. My company has spent years - and lots of money - developing the methodology for this (and other things) and they comprise "trade secret" competitive advantages over other firms. Do you have "issues" with Coca-Cola not revealing the secret formula for Coke? A restaurant not publishing the secret to how they make the best pasta in town for all of their competitors to copy? Do you publicly reveal all the secrets of your company to all of your competitors?

Thank you RJP for taking the time and expense and doing this survey. However, like many others, I too was confused with the specific wording of "experience" and "adventure."

]This results in a test of little more than two key words: which word is more frequently associated with diving experiences?

I agree. I believe the first question was "SCUBA diving is an 'experience'." I believe I answered that Strongly Agree. The next question use the phrase "adventure." I think I then assumed that "Experience" was a negative, and "Adventure" was a positive. I think the rest of the responses followed that line of thinking.

fjpatrum:
While I like adventure I treated the poll as if that was a negative connotation, rather than a positive one and the "experience" as a positive connotation.

And he did the exact opposite.

So how exactly does that represent trends if the respondents don't understand the grading scale? I've seen I'm not the only one.

Reactions: RJP
Ray,

Where did you recruit people to respond to this poll? Was it a cross-section of divers or a cross section of Subaboard users?

R..

. . .
That being said, the research and analytics methodology in question is proprietary intellectual property. My company has spent years - and lots of money - developing the methodology for this (and other things) and they comprise "trade secret" competitive advantages over other firms. Do you have "issues" with Coca-Cola not revealing the secret formula for Coke? A restaurant not publishing the secret to how they make the best pasta in town for all of their competitors to copy? Do you publicly reveal all the secrets of your company to all of your competitors?

Coca-Cola isn't a SB poster. Maybe you should have let us know that the survey was based on your company's secret "research and analytics methodology"? My main motivation for answering your survey was to learn what was in your head when you created it. The questions were intriguing, and many of us know you are in that field.

Coupling these findings with the rather older age I think your sample skews to, it surprises me that many people 'stopped' (no offense) at the AOW or equivalent level.
Richard.
IIRC there was no mention in the survey of tech diving, so that level of training wasn't recorded.

Flotsam pretty much nailed my thinking with respect to the experience/adventure argument. I treat adventure as potentially being dangerous (and thereby negative in context of rec scuba diving) while I treat "experience" as something I very much hope to achieve during scuba diving. Hence my earlier response.

It sounds like the whole point (after further clarification) was more a characterization of whether people actually act and believe as they publicly espouse. It's pretty much common knowledge that they don't, even when they think they do. I suspect this just confirms that but I can't tell anything from the results because we don't see the breakdown of the specific questions for a given respondent.

Either way, interesting poll that has generated an interesting discussion.

Selling fantasy to consumers has always been more profitable than providing accurate information.

Ah, so you DO understand what marketers do!

:d

I hope that you also can appreciate that humans (real humans, not statistical humans) buy products, goods, and services based on "fantasy" over "accuracy" whenever given a choice between the two. They choose their cereal based on it, their soft drink, there shampoo, their car, their clothes, their beerand their deodorant based on fantasy, rather than accurate information. In fact, long before there were such statistics (or marketing) - and right up until this very day - people choose things like their spouse, their political leaders, and even their gods based on "irrational impulses" and fantasy rather than accurate information.

I'm not really sure I understand your "nobler-than-thou" attitude about statistics as compared to "witless" marketing. I have a tremendous appreciation for statistics. It seems, however that you don't have as much appreciation for their actual, real-world application as I do.

I notice that you're in NJ. If you teach/taught applied statistics or OR at one of the two NJ universities where I did my graduate and post-graduate work in the early 1990s... perhaps I actually did "sit through" one of your classes? The irony of you describing students as "sitting through" a course with the word "applied" in the name is not lost on you. Or the larger irony that nothing taught in a lecture hall is ever actually "applied" in that lecture hall, but rather the application of the things you teach is done out in the world. The ultimate irony, however, is the possibility that I - or someone like me - once sat in your classroom and now use what you taught me to help convince you that your teeth would be whiter if you bought "brand x" toothpaste or that chicks would dig you more if you drove a certain car, or that you would look cooler in the sneakers you bought, or that you should vote for candidate X, or use a certain brand of dive gear over another. (Perhaps, even, I should have specifically thanked you in accepting one of those awards?)

Maybe you can go over to the marketing department at whatever school it is that lucky students get to "sit through" your classes in applied statistics, and ask the marketing faculty - if you can dane to be in their presence for a bit - to explain to you how statistics are applied in such witless pursuits as product development, positioning, advertising, pricing, packaging, media planning, distribution channel selection, etc, etc.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 10:42 AM ----------

It sounds like the whole point (after further clarification) was more a characterization of whether people actually act and believe as they publicly espouse. It's pretty much common knowledge that they don't, even when they think they do. I suspect this just confirms that but I can't tell anything from the results because we don't see the breakdown of the specific questions for a given respondent.

The point was not to "characterization whether people actually act and believe as they publicly espouse." The point of the survey was to see if there was anything interesting to be gleaned from a look at people's beliefs that scuba diving is "an adventure" and seeing if that is different for different ages, experience, cert levels, and/or has it changed over time. The point of the chose methodolgy, however, was to take into account the fact that people often do not, will not, or simply cannot tell you what they actually believe/thing/do.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 10:56 AM ----------

Ray,

Where did you recruit people to respond to this poll? Was it a cross-section of divers or a cross section of Subaboard users?

R..

Survey was posted here on SB, on a few other diving web-boards, and shared and re-shared by and among divers on FB. It appears that approximately 50% of the respondents came from SB, based on my ability to see when surveys were completed vs when/where links to it were posted. Though many of the people that came from FB and other boards could be SB members as well. No way to tell. As mentioned in the first post, this has significant implications for the results. Also not that this sort of dynamic in general is why market researchers will (should) report their results by saying "respondents think/feel/say/do" rather than "divers think/feel/say/do" since you can only draw conclusions about "respondents" rather than the population from which the respondent pool was drawn. To the point where I wouldn't even use the word "cross-section of SB members" because even that would assume that the SBers who responded were actually representative of all SBers. Lots of reasons why that's not likely to be true. We call this "Respondent Bias" and "Selection Bias."

Respondent Bias - there's a mindset of people who respond the surveys/etc. Some people just dont respond. Since there's something different about them relative to participation in the study... it's fair to assume that there are other things that are different about them compared to the people who did respond.

Selection Bias - even if you somehow elimated respondent bias, you still have the problem of inherent bias based on where you looked for people to respond. I posted the survey only in Basic Scuba discussions. Therefore, it is unlikely (impossible?) that SBers who never or infrequently enter that forum to have taken the survey. It was only posted in January. So SBers who only think about diving in warm weather months - and visit SB, or not, accordingly - would be under-represented in the pool. Etc.

Ultimately I would say the survey was conducted among "active divers who have a high degree of participation in on-line/social media sites related to discussions of scuba diving."

Pretty easy to understand potential skews in the responses based on that, huh? :shocked2:

Last edited:
The applied statistics course I taught was housed jointly in the School of Humanities and the Psychology Department, not in the Business School. Students did, of course, do their own projects, though 'sitting through' those sections of courses which dealt with methodology and critical interpretation was unavoidable, especially since these were not marketing or business school students. Most were were encountering this kind of metamathmatics for the first time.

Their purpose was never to sell anything. God forbid. The research which informed our statistical studies covered a wide territory, and frequently had no human subjects. Those that did have human subjects were focused more on understanding and interpretation, retention, transferability, and some technical questions. Many of the projects that did not usually have live respondents (some did) examined marriage patterns, wills, bequests, family structure, street corner societies, prisoner hierarchies, residential patterns, voting patterns, career choices, and more topics than I could relate in hours of typing, some reaching back centuries and drawn from musty records.

For what it's worth I taught at Rutgers for 32 years, and for a couple of semesters at NYU during a departmental exchange program.

. I believe the first question was "SCUBA diving is an 'experience'." I believe I answered that Strongly Agree. The next question use the phrase "adventure." I think I then assumed that "Experience" was a negative, and "Adventure" was a positive. I think the rest of the responses followed that line of thinking.

FYI - I programmed the survey to automatically rotate the order of certain questions, as well as the order in which certain responses are presented. This is to help avoid/eliminate "Sequence Bias" in the results. (The impact that seeing one question - or considering their own answer to that first question - has on their answer to subsequent question(s). While you saw "Scuba diving is an experience" first, followed by"Scuba diving is an adventure" second, the next respondent saw those two questions in the reverse order. The order was flipped again for the next respondent, etc. etc. with the result that ~600people saw it as you did, but the other 600 saw it in the opposite order.

Similarly in all of the "Strongly Agree" >> "Strongly Disagree" type questions, the order of the responses is flipped for every respondent. You may have seen the responses starting with "Strong Agree" and gouing down the page to "Strongly Disagree." The next respondent would see those choices starting with "Strong Disgree" and going down the page to "Strongly Agree."

On question 10 (the scale of "Adventure" on one end and "Experience" on the other, and multiple scenarios below... the Left/Right aspect of "Adventure vs Experience" was flipped for every other respondent. Yours may have had "Adventure" on the left and "Experience" on the right, the next person would have had "Experience" on the left and "Adventure" on the right. And the sub-scenarios underneath were randomized for every respondent, so with seven options there were 5,040 possible options for what order a respondent would have seen those options presented. With >1,200 respondents it is entirely possible that no two people saw those options in the same order.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

For what it's worth I taught at Rutgers for 32 years, and for a couple of semesters at NYU during a departmental exchange program.

I did my MBA at Seton Hall while doing quant/qual market research for a NJ-based pharma company (after undergraduate lifesciences degree) and then started a new joint doctoral program between Rutgers and NJIT. NJIT had the course for "a program" but no approval to confer the degree, while Rutgers had approval to confer the degree, but didnt have the courses. At the time there was a big bru-hah-hah between Rutgers and NJIT starting their graduate program in management. I forget the details, but it was tied up in the whole dispute between Rutgers not wanting NJIT to use the word "State" to describe themselve (ie "NJIT - The State Technical University" or something) Upshot was, the path I wanted to take in quant business analytics, decision theory, etc got thrown to the wind. My choice was to change to the Rutgers management PhD program, which I couldn't do as I was employed full-time, and my employer was paying for the degree. Some of the main courses - with some of the same instructors - were offered at NJIT's MS in Management proram. So I switched to that. Then, from the "nothing's easy" file, the OR stuff I wanted to take were actually offered in the "Industrial Engineering" department, so I had to enroll in a joint program in Industrial Engineering. But my employer would not pay for THOSE courses because I could only get reimbursed for classes "directly related to my job" so even though I was charged with building out the analytics and decision support function I could not convince them to pay for the classes because I was "not an engineer" and therefore could not pursue a masters in engineering on their dime. So I took all the classes I wanted to take, paying for some myself, and then quit the program... and that's how I came to leave academia and dedicate my life to important matters such as keeping eyes glued to the TV during timeouts at the SuperBowl.

Given your style/wit/tone, I'm guessing I would have enjoyed "sitting through" on of your classes. Given my similar style/wit/tone I'm guessing your enjoyment of the experience may have differed.

:D

Lets go diving some time!

Last edited:
Hi Ray,

Personally, I enjoyed participating in your survey and am appreciative that you have posted the initial results as you said you would. The results, with dive professionals removed, were of particular interest to me as they more accurately reflect my diving group. You nicely outlined the major limitations of the survey in your intial email. To be honest, some of the more negative/critical comments surprised me, the survey is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. I don't really care what your motivations were for posting your survey or exactly why you chose or worded the questions the way you did. The results of 1200 respondents are very intersting and I look forward to additional posts when you have completed more of your analysis.

It appears that many wrestled with the questions on experience vs. adventure, both at the time of taking the survey, and now, with presentation of the results. I did not find these questions particularly difficult and simply answered them quickly based on my own definitions and beliefs. The variation in peoples definitions and beliefs may make analyzing these questions somewhat difficult, but it will also be part of the fun.

In my simplistic world, experiences generate knowledge and skill through participation in the activiity. Adventures are a subset of experiences that are unusual or exciting and may contain an element of danger, risk, or uncertainty. Some of my dives are experiences, but, even the most routine dive, has the potential to become an adventure. Some of my dives are specifically chosen as adventures. I enjoy all of my dives but don't think I would be addicted to the degree I am if it were not for the psychological reward from the expected or unexpected adventure. These rewards have kept me diving on and off, now, most definitely on, for 44 years, since the age of 16, for nearly a thousand dives. I can only hope I will be able to continue diving for many more years to come.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom