Scuba Diving while at University?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Yes, it has been a while since I have posted on here, being that I am on working holiday... Anyway being that this is my final year of HS prior to University, I was wondering how you guys deal/dealt with scuba in uni? Apart from the obvious limitations of storage area in a garden hose, you also have to deal with roommates using things like your octopus as a bong! Further, what do you do about your dive knife? While not a weapon per se for some reason I can foresee someone claiming it is...

I found a good place to live by myself - a separate, independent suite - because I've had roommate issues in the past. At the very least, have a lockable, private bedroom (if you're going to have housemates) to prevent anyone from touching your gear. Scuba gear doesn't actually take up that much space. I use a corner in my bedroom and put my gear on a plastic tarp to dry. The major problem is if you want to wash your gear at home, and I'd just use the LDS bucket if I had roommates.

As for the dive knife, no one would care. Does your new place have regulations against knives? Just keep it with the rest of your diving stuff so it's obvious what it's used for and answer honestly if someone asks.

Yes, it has been a while since I have posted on here, being that I am on working holiday... Anyway being that this is my final year of HS prior to University, I was wondering how you guys deal/dealt with scuba in uni? Apart from the obvious limitations of storage area in a garden hose, you also have to deal with roommates using things like your octopus as a bong! Further, what do you do about your dive knife? While not a weapon per se for some reason I can foresee someone claiming it is...

Perhaps one of those small storage units would work for you if you begin to have issues with roommates fiddling with your stuff - in my mind that's a privact issue and shows a lack of respect and manners on their part, but not everyone is raised the same.

KevinL

All my housemates were divers, why would you live with anyone else?

For some reason I think I would be turned down for single occupancy dorm (most are doubles and triples) if I listed as a reason "Need Fellow Divers"... Although I am sure I could get a psychiatrist to say that I have autism or something (had a few try already to tell me I am!) to qualify... but that would hurt me in the future I think (ie: If I want to join the military)..

As for the dive knife question - can you just get away with dive shears (sea snips) at school, and leave the knife at home? Most schools in the U.S. wouldn't allow a large, sharp knife in campus housing.

As for the dive knife question - can you just get away with dive shears (sea snips) at school, and leave the knife at home? Most schools in the U.S. wouldn't allow a large, sharp knife in campus housing.

I think its funny how they don't trust people with sharp objects anymore (I guess same reason you can't store an arsenal of assault rifles in your dorm... anymore...) I wonder if perhaps if I seek a single room, and get it approved, if I could perhaps get a waiver from admin for it... (that way its not hiding it, if their intent is simply to know where the sharp objects are...) as it really is a necessary part of kit... I guess too that it depends where you go to school, ie: Getto University's School of Drug-Dealing vs Brown University...

Make friends with your roomates and be open about any minor annoyances. You shouldn't have any problems.
Just try not to sound whiney or accusing when bringing things up and everyone should begin respecting others things.

As for knives, a lot of college kids carry knives on my campus, despite them being banned. Quite a lot carried them with the pocket clip showing too. Never had or heard any problems personally. The staff didn't care unless you were being sketchy constantly.
It might be the same case with your uni. I don't think your dive knife will be a problem. If it really is, get a blunt end, a pair of shears, or a line cutter. Keep it smeared with Pb/J. :wink:

I got distracted with the 'using the octopus as a bong' - it would require to much work for a stonier.

I would only worry if you had a full face mask.

:)

most dorm rooms have a lockable dresser or set of drawers. if not, just tell your roomate you'll castratr him with the dive knife if he ever touches your stuff. college kids are creative, i'm sure he can find something else to use as a bong

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom