Scuba Diving's Snipe Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to get new guys at work, by asking them to get me the adjustable metric wrench, then tell them they brought the imperial one. It was a little sad how often that worked.

love beginning of the year and the apprentices start their new jobs.......

sending them off to buy a left handed screw driver or a can of black & white checked paint always gets them

hmmm - tricks on newbies.... never thought about it before

Ex-Navy guy once told me about how they would assign a newbie to "mail buoy" duty. They would put the poor guy out on the bow of the ship, holding a long pole with a hook on the end. The newbie would be told to look for, and hook the "mail buoy," which held all the mail for the ship. This would typically be done in bad bad weather... :rofl3:

Firefyter:
That aint the way we snipe hunt in Texas :wink: . Seriously, though, if we told you it would just be letting the cat out of the bag....Much more fun to hear about it after it happens to ya... Remember the saying, "If you're sitting around the poker table and you can't spot the sucker, there's a darned good chance you're it." :D
I agree with Firefyter. When we hunted snipe in TX, - that's not the way we did it either.

Hunted snipe in MS and AL - did not do it that way either. Read about FL - they do it just like the others I mentioned.

Snipe do not hold to a point well.

almitywife:
love beginning of the year and the apprentices start their new jobs.......

sending them off to buy a left handed screw driver or a can of black & white checked paint always gets them

hmmm - tricks on newbies.... never thought about it before

Glass Hammer anyone?

biggmarty:
The thread on "Orange Shovels" seemed to set off a lot of fun, so I thought I'd throw this one in.

What is Scuba Diving's Snipe Hunting?

If you don't know what Snipe Hunting is, it is a gag that elder woodsmen will often play on younger people. You take the kiddies out into the woods, and give one of them a box. Then you tell the rest of them to keep their eyes open for the snipes and to rustle the leaves, as to scatter the snipes. Then you point to random places, having the poor soul with the box try and trap the non-existent snipes.

So what's the Scuba version of this?
It works better with a burlap bag. You also need to take his flashlight as it will scare away the snipes. Make sure you are at least a few hundred yards from camp and then just leave him. You can go get him in the morning. Way we used to do it in scouts.

The infamous "tent wrench".....I can't tell you how many times they tried to send me out for that one>

Mo2vation:
Its a Left-handed Smoke Shifter.

Its a Bacon Stretcher.

Who else was in Scouts? C'mon... there are a zillion of them.

The Scuba Version? I dunno... probably "sure, tank down that second glass of Ice Tea on the SI...."

---
Ken

The "snipe hunting" gag is the generator of the term "left holding the bag".

The saavy guys would take the mark out into the middle of nowhere, hand him a bag and have him stand in a ditch. Then they'd tell him that they would go back up the road a ways and herd the snipe down the ditch and then he could collect them in the bag.

Well, they'd leave the poor, ignorant sod standing in the ditch (this was usually done in incliment weather) get in the truck and go back up the road a ways (went back to the beer joint) and laugh their arses off while sucking down a few cold ones.

Now, the Wilson's or "common" snipe, is one of the most demanding game birds to shoot that has ever been. The snipe is an open marsh bird about the size of a blue bird with a very long, pencil like beak used for probing for critters in the marsh mud. As stated in a previous post, they don't "hold a point well", that means a dog will point the bird, but it may flush without cause.

Down here we just "jump shoot" them . . . walk through an open marsh, usually in January and February, and take the targets of opportunity.

They are extremely fast and fly in a crazy and unpredictable zig-zag pattern.

Great wing shooting ! ! !

But as far as scuba diving goes . . . wouldn't have a clue!

the K

Back
Top Bottom