Scuba Diving's Snipe Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sending them for a Roll of fallopian tubing was always good though. My "Friend" only went to 4 guys looking for a rool of this. :wink:

Sound powered telephone batteries were also a good one to go for. These are really heavy. :rofl3:

How about HP/LP hose stretcher??

dumpsterDiver:
Heck i just used to mark my fins with a big "L" on one and a "R" on the other and then just explain that it prevents me from getting the left and right fins mixed up. I then ask them how they can tell the difference for their fins. (It really just served to mark my fins as my own and to let me know which side of the SP jet fin was up, which allowed me to get dressed in the dark a little easier).
Heck, whenever anyone asks me which is left and right I just ask them to put them on. Then I sit in front of them with a marker and mark the one on my right "R" and the one on my left "L". :11doh: Everyone that I have done this to has questioned why I did this because it seemed backwards to them. :confused: Since I am still in front of them I just explain it is right and left; at least to me.:shakehead If they have a problem with it; I walk behind them and go "UhOh". :11: I ask them to change the fins to the other foot. I look at them and go "Hmmm" a couple of times.:eyebrow: And then say ok i was wrong before the fins are on the correct foot now.:crafty: They always seem to be ok with it after that? :huh: Or at least they never ask me again? :D

Some later ask me so it really doesn't make any difference does it?:D

When we were doing some wreck diving my instructor was up on the boat one day telling me if I tickle the orange mushroom looking coral/anenome things on the wreck they close up and its neat.

I totally thought this was a leg pull and figured they would shoot something at me that stank or try and eat my finger or something, I thanked him kindly and told him I would check it out. Sadly when I ran into him on a dive later in the day he showed me, and really all they did was close up. In a way I was very disappointed.

The best ones have to be telling people to look out for 'x' when on a particular site, and see how outlandish you can get. Perhaps using mythological creatures and convincing people that "No, this is the creature that sailors used to spot and think was a mermaid. Mermaids do exist though, its a type of crustacean that if you view them sunning themselves near the surface can look like a lady floating on her back. If you look up during this dive you should definately see at least a few and you'll see what I'm talking about, it's pretty neat." The more genuine fascination at ocean life and science dispelling myth tidbits you can add the better.

See how many people you can get spending their dive watching their bubbles instead of the reef/wreck.

diverdan214:
f you look up during this dive you should definately see at least a few and you'll see what I'm talking about, it's pretty neat." The more genuine fascination at ocean life and science dispelling myth tidbits you can add the better.

Reminds me of a gag I got involved in back in 98. We were on a trip to China and doing the Yangzee river trip. On the second day out, this gent, who was a biologist of some sort, said, "Tonight at dinner I'm going to ask if you saw the 'Yangzee River Whales'... play along."

That night, in the midst of the conversations he looked over and shot that line across the dinner table. I looke puzzled a bit (I'm not a biologist) and mentioned that I had seen some sort of large fish out there but didn't know what they were." "Did they look a little like dolphins but without the nose?" "Yea... kinda'.."...

By this time we had their attention and my biologist friend begain a dissertation on the nature and habits of 'River Whales'... ummm... needless to say, all next day everybody in the tour group was glued to the railings as they had their cameras ready to get a picture of 'River Whale'... :rofl3: :rofl3:

At work we send the noobs to go looking for a dicfor. Then they come back and ask "What's a dicfor?" point and laugh is all we do.

This will probably get deleted but o well

I'm afraid I was a victim of a snipe hunt this weekend. You simply must see the sunken ship at Troy Springs in Florida.:rofl3:

Razor.:
You can't make fun of muffler bearings too much... Mazda 929s have them for real.

The metric adjustable wrench is by far my favorite.
I didn't fare too well on April fool's day... The whole day I thought it was the 2nd and fell for everything thrown at me :rofl3: I couldn't figure out why everything was going wrong :huh:

Unbelievably, metric adjustable wrenches exist! A co-worker of mine purchased one while we were in Manchester, U.K. They call them metric spanners. It is nothing more than a "Cresent" with mm gradients etched in the side. Could you imagine someone pulling the gag on him and he's able to produce one? The look on their face would be Priceless!!!!
eek.gif

biscuit7:
In restaurants we liked to send people for ice mix.

Rachel

We used to send people out for a squeegie sharpener (kinda like a wiper blade sharpener, only longer), have them empty the hot water out of the coffee machine (that is hooked up directly to the water heater), and make up new utensils (I need a left handed steak fork on the fly).

I guess in Scuba, you can always attach twice as much gear with your stainless steel double D-rings, lessen entanglement hazards with hoseless regulators, make sure your harness always holds together with Spyder webbing, maintain dexterity with fingerless diving gloves, and make breathing easier with high flow ported exhaust valves.

CenTexDivin:
I guess in Scuba, you can always attach twice as much gear with your stainless steel double D-rings, lessen entanglement hazards with hoseless regulators, make sure your harness always holds together with Spyder webbing, maintain dexterity with fingerless diving gloves, and make breathing easier with high flow ported exhaust valves.
Double D-rings? Yep (small under large). Hoseless regulators? Check (H2Odyssey, Zeagle, etc.). Fingerless diving gloves? Indeed (the better to feel the line from your reel, apparently).

You know, the problem with this is too many of the diving things *exist*. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom