Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFM + Camera + Spare Air. An interesting combination...

How do you find the photography when using FFM?

What is your emergency procedure for using Spare Air, when wearing a FFM?

The previous post you are referring to smells like a troll. They often have special abilities - at least in their own minds

Interesting thread. I would love to try out some spring straps, but I'm not going to spend $40 or $50 to find out that they aren't any better than my rubber straps. I have never had my straps break, but then I don't have 2000 dives. I have had a Jetfin strap buckle break and I was not a happy camper when it did. I was at Haunauma Bay in Hawaii and had to rent crappy full foot fins.

I have used my EMT shears to cut fishing line. The guy at BHB that hooked me was not happy either, but then, he hooked me on purpose so, I wasn't very happy with him.

I think the Air II was a great invention, you may not agree, but I love mine. Slap Straps are wonderful, I need to get another, but I want one like Baby Duck's. Where can I get one of those? (It has "Stroke" printed on it.)

I don't like back inflation BCs. They trap air. I like my SP Classic Sport vest style BC. Especially the newer versions with four places to dump air.

I don't think that the main reason people love spring straps is durability. People love them because they allow fins to be removed much more easily.

For the camera, a large LCD back would help. As for Spare Air, maybe going mask-less to the surface? I would think buddy breathing would have the same issue as Spare Air.

I guess you could have a spare mask too, but I would think that little tube of air would be sucked dry too fast to doff and don a mask.

Actually the tech community ripped this term off from the mountain climbing community. They refer to them as "suicide clips" because it's a really bad idea to suspend yourself solely by one of these.

The tech community likes to think that the term applies to them as well since they're into "extreme diving."

No...In the climbing community we don't, never heard that term in climbing before. Thats what they are made for.

Sorry, this was answered in later posts. It plucked a cord so I got impulsive.

Last edited:
I don't think that the main reason people love spring straps is durability. People love them because they allow fins to be removed much more easily.

I've never had a lot of problems with my rubber straps, but like I said, I would like to try the spring straps, I just don't want to shell out that much money and then say, "So?"

Although you can break kelp by simply pulling it or snapping it in two, apparantly this company feels that many divers die each year in kelp and have come up with an amazing solution. :)

Kelp Kondom?... Helping to save lives, one Kondom at a time...

According to their website..."Thicker kelp growth in recent years has made for more dangerous driving conditions."
I guess driving to the dive site is as dangerous as diving in kelp.

Although you can break kelp by simply pulling it or snapping it in two, apparantly this company feels that many divers die each year in kelp and have come up with an amazing solution. :)

Kelp Kondom?... Helping to save lives, one Kondom at a time...

According to their website..."Thicker kelp growth in recent years has made for more dangerous driving conditions."
I guess driving to the dive site is as dangerous as diving in kelp.

Is this a joke? It's not April yet....

For those that can't be bothered to visit the site... the product is a neoprene 'wrap' that covers the fin straps, which "increases streamlining and prevents entanglement".

Why not just get streamlined in the first place... and show good kit configuration awareness to minimise entanglement points...

A set of spring straps does the same job... or failing that... the 'old' solution of applying some duct tape to keep your fin straps from flapping...

I've never had a lot of problems with my rubber straps, but like I said, I would like to try the spring straps, I just don't want to shell out that much money and then say, "So?"

It depends on the type of rubber straps you have, but spring straps are usually better for getting your fins on in a hurry in a surf entry. Also you don't have to readjust the straps if you pulled a little too hard. For boat diving, there is no real advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom