Scuba kit package vs piece by piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, I'm very new to diving and I really want to purchase a kit. I would like to stay around 1000 bucks or less. I am curious if you guys suggest buying locally vs buying online, or buying packages vs. Buying gear piece by piece.
I already know my size. I know they say you should buy gear according to your type of diving but what exactly do they mean by that? I mean I just want to get some dives in, get more experience and become more comfortable. I just need the basic beginner setup and if I enjoy it as much as I expect to, then I will invest in the bells and whistles.
What do y'all think about this particular package? https://www.amazon.com/Cressi-Scuba-Gear-Package-Medium/dp/B00B4HNUNC?tag=scubacompare-20&th=1&psc=1
Getting back to the OPs pain point...packages are designed to maximize profit for the seller...welcome to capitalism 101.

In the best case (for the buyer) this is by reducing the sales effort required to move good stuff that you need. Win-Win! In the worst case it means bundling in crap you do not want at an extremely high profit margin. Win-Lose!

So the first questions is: Do you really need all of the stuff? Exactly that stuff? Or do you think you would be better with 1 or 2 different things (either cheaper or more expensive?)

I started out not knowing anything and bought bundles. I now know a bit and no longer buy bundles as they always seem to include something I do not want or need.

You mean besides a Perdix?
Yup. I have been researching computers found some moderate priced and others I can only dream about. I don't know if I am going to go full trimix. May just do advanced nitrox and deco.

Yup. I have been researching computers found some moderate priced and others I can only dream about. I don't know if I am going to go full trimix. May just do advanced nitrox and deco.

Do you have a budget? Used Petrel 2's can be found on here for $500-600

Do you have a budget? Used Petrel 2's can be found on here for $500-600
Yes on the budget. But I am still at least a year out from starting and as I said I do not know about trimix but I am definitely going to try advanced nitrox and deco diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom