Scuba kit package vs piece by piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't remember who said this:Make your 2nd purchase FIRST.
Buying a package is fine with me as long as you are NOT thinking to "up-grade" it in few months/yrs time.
Used equipment is a tricky question to new divers but fins are OK eg. Mares Avanti Quattro. Used BP/W is another option but new divers might find set up a bit alien to their training.
Have been using the same Apeks reg(DS4 + TX50) since 1998 but they are expensive nowadays.
There is no need whatsoever to get the top of the range reg from any brands eg. SP MK25/A700 is NOT going to out perform its ancient stable mate MK5/10/15/156 or G250.

US$1,000.00 won't get you quality equipment. You BEST option is to build the complete set gradually. Get the most important few items first and then wait until more fund is available.

It is your money so spend it wisely.

you get the most bang for the buck by being patient and buying on sale or getting some used equipment that is in good shape from forums/craigslist/ebay. unfortunately, it can be tough for a new diver to figure out what is a good deal.

if you can't wait, you can also ask if your LDS sells their rental gear. that can be heavily discounted compared to new gear and you just have to ask if it was serviced recently. or see if they have any used customer tradeins they are selling. i picked up a dive rite bpw and some zeagle regs that way before.

Buying a package is convenient and may look like a good deal, but odds of it being all things you are happy with long term (or even short term) can be low, then you wind up re-buying stuff or putting up with stuff you don't like. Some places will allow choices in building a package but get still give some kind of discounted package price. That can be a slightly better option, but you're still limited to what they sell.

If you want to get the best gear for you at a low price, I think you generally need to pay for that by spending more time. That means educating yourself more on gear and maybe waiting around for the right used items for some things. Most gear it's really not that hard to learn enough to buy used, and google (or scubaboard) is your friend. I know it's more work than just grabbing a cheap package, but educating yourself a bit will hopefully get you gear you enjoy diving with more, rather than gear you'll be constantly annoyed with.

The best gear is not necessarily the same as the most expensive gear, or the gear with the most bells and whistles. Sometimes it's the opposite. And the best way to buy gear can very from item to item. You can buy fins used quite inexpensively that will be as good or better than the latest fancy gimmicky thing, and it is really not that hard to tell if fins are in good shape. You can get great deals on lightly used BCs of various sorts, and it's really not that hard to evaluate the condition of a BC either. BCs can be one of the hardest things to chose, but if you can find something right that can be a big win. Generally gauges work or they don't. Computers same thing, and you can easily read what people have to say about various models. (Note that no one will agree on anything.)

Regulators are tricky. I think buying used regs, unless you're someone who knows a lot about them and services them yourself, is usually a false economy. Servicing regs can be expensive and will cost more over time then the original purchase price. Unless you buy a used reg from someone you know and trust about it's condition and history, or maybe a dive shop selling off rental stock that they just serviced, you are going to want to get them serviced. After the price plus service, you are probably close to just buying some decent mid-range new regs. Service is also a consideration with regs - does someone local to you service Cressi regs? If not you will have to send them off someplace to get serviced, which is an option but you should be aware of that. (How often regs need to be serviced is another whole 'nother discussion, with opinions from "every year/other year as the manufacturer recommends", to "if it's not broke don't fix it." Some people even buy a reg and just use it for some years until it really needs service, then sell it and buy a new one - wash rinse repeat.)

There are also arguments for just getting something easy and getting in the water. One is, it's hard to know exactly what you will like and need down the road and may wind up replacing most things no matter how hard you try to get it right the first time. Renting for awhile is often suggested and may give you a better idea what you like (partly by renting different types of things if you can, but also simply by getting more experience.) But rental costs add up and that package will pay for itself. Plus you will dive more if you have your own, whatever it is.

Where are you diving? Local or on vacation?

If the latter, BCD should be last on the list, because IME that's the first that you'll want to replace.

Top priority is regs, computer, and wetsuit, IMO.

Personally I think that if you buy a package you might end up with some items that you don't like so much and will end up replacing. I think it's better to rent/borrow until you learn what you do and do not like. If you go on dive boats you can ask people if they like their gear and takes notes.

As for used gear, if it looks new and bright and shiny it quite possibly is. If you seen any green (verdigris) leave it where it sits. Twice recently I have seen people giving away BCs here on SB. Of course you would need to be nearby in order to get a free one off of a fence :wink: If it's not faded and holds air that's good but sometimes the power inflator will leak into the BC and you will either have to keep dumping air or disconnect the hose. New inflators are available and not horribly expensive and fairly easy to replace. Consider a back wing type BC. They are re-gaining popularity. So are low-volume masks and ScubaPro Jet Fins.

Mask, snorkel, and wetsuit I would buy new. Used fins could be a really good deal especially if the seller just had to have the latest new style but the ones they had were fine.

It might take some time and I don't know if there is a "list" somewhere but many of the people here have determined through experience which regulators are the best. Some of that may be personal opinion but when everyone agrees that one particular model is superior I would pay attention. Personally I use Sherwoods from the 80s and everyone seems to agree that they are dependable and well-designed. That is not to say that I would turn down a good whatever if it came my way. Some of the regulators that receive high ratings here are neither the most expensive or the cheapest.

Have you priced those items individually? You might possibly beat that price if you do. I don't buy much new gear so others can give you much better suggestions that I can for online shopping.

Others gave good advice. I just wanted to pop in and say I second Scuba Swap and Shop on Facebook as a great place for used or gently used/like new gear. I've seen some killer deals in the past year I've been a member of the group.

Classifieds here are also good! I also post what I am looking for - often times someone has an unlisted item to sell and you then get first dibs.

Nothing serious, just some personal reflections, as the useful advise has been given by others. The bad news is that serious, passionate diving isn't cheap at all - especially when you move into the technical realm. Few dollars that seem important to save on packages when you buy your first kit are insignificant albeit they bring some instant gratification. It is a small fraction of the money you will have to pay, let's say, for further training, if you want to progress. The good news is that in time expenses somehow stop bothering you. Thus may be it is a good idea to relax and and get really good things? They form a part of pleasure you receive from diving. There is some wisdom in the saying that the stingy man pays twice. I don't know whether it is possible to jump steps in one's progress. I wish, somebody had told me - skip the wetsuit, go for a dry suit whatever it costs; or - forget about jacket, go for a BP/W - or even - don't buy a single backmount kit, get a sidemount system right away. This would have saved me quite some money if I listened. But life is understandable only with hindsight and we are living it ahead.

A more practical tip - have a look at the Divesoft Freedom computers. They are really very good. you may buy a basic nitrox version for starters and upgrade the software as you progress all the way till a rebreather.

Last edited:
I am a newer diver as well but bought everything but my mask snorkel, computer and wetsuit second hand. I do somewhat agree with the person who posted buying regs used can be problematic but for the cost saving and considering current reg design, simple reliable and fails to free flow, it's not impossible.
just to give you a price breakdown ( i think these prices were correct, sorry some of the gear was bought a few years ago)
most of my diving is warm water vacation, max depth 30 meters or so

BCD- Scubapro knighthawk $225
First stage- scubapro mark 2 $80 (just serviced)
second stages- scubapro g250 (just serviced) $90 (primary) scubapro g200 (just serviced) $75 secondary
gauges- $60 compass, depth, PSI
weights- $30 (16 lbs lead block)
fins (apollo)- $60 (i know they're split fins, go easy guys lol)
TOTAL USED $620 ( but bought a basic vest BCD for $90 or $100 for the SO so can save money on BCD easily)

mask (prescription)- $150
snorkel - $30
wetsuit (3 mm full)- $85
computer- $90 ( great sale)

TOTAL NEW $355 (but you should be able to shave 50-75 off that for non prescription mask)

other stuff
SMB
save a dive kit
extra batteries

Just to give you a different perspective and some prices :) some of it isn't the lightest and none of it is the newest but all reliable gear i've been happy with

I'm a big fan of buying locally - at least for the major "Life Support" gear (Regs, Console, BC). I called my LDS a few years back asking about a reg set that had a promotion ("Octo for free" I believe). They told me they had that and others as well and I should come down with a swim suit and try them in their pool. It only took a few laps in the pool to determine that I really didn't like the way that kit breathed. Granted, that was just at pool depth, and not 100' down, but still - IMHO - there is no substitute for trying before you buy.

YMMV.
-PH

you get the most bang for the buck by being patient and buying on sale or getting some used equipment that is in good shape from forums/craigslist/ebay. unfortunately, it can be tough for a new diver to figure out what is a good deal.

if you can't wait, you can also ask if your LDS sells their rental gear. that can be heavily discounted compared to new gear and you just have to ask if it was serviced recently. or see if they have any used customer tradeins they are selling. i picked up a dive rite bpw and some zeagle regs that way before.

In addition to the good advice from @runsongas, get into a local dive club, or go on LDS sponsored fun dives, or find Scubaboard members,and meet and dive with other divers. Other divers can be a great resource in finding and evaluating second hand gear. Also it can give you an idea on what gear is best for your area and type of diving you are going to do. I have also found good deals online with closeouts or returns.

As for "Make your 2nd purchase FIRST.", its a good catch phrase, however since a good portion of divers drop out of diving, it just puts possibly better gear on the used market. If you stay in diving, you will find uses for your older gear when you upgrade, if you don't wear it out. At this point you just need decent gear until you find that the type of diving you do requires more, it may never require more. Spend the saved money on diving and work from there.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom