Scuba Lessons Jax expelled from PADI--students left in the lurch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh boy...how hard is it to stick to the standards!

I'm always curious to find out why someone gets kicked out, as my understanding is that all training agencies try to rectify any problems. It has to be fairly egregious to get kicked out.

I'm always curious to find out why someone gets kicked out, as my understanding is that all training agencies try to rectify any problems. It has to be fairly egregious to get kicked out.
I agree. You have to kill a student (vs. having one die in training), or fail to pay your dues to get bounced. And failing to pay your dues just gets you a friendly reminder that you can't issue cards, you don't get expelled. You get expelled by getting a QA and refusing to say 10 Hail Mary's and a Mea Culpa.

Wow. As more time passes, the more cynical I get about so many dive shops. I was very lucky to happen upon a good one when I first started. I didn't know enough to even do research on them. They just happened to be the closest shop to my apt.

There were so many violations in my open water course, all minor (counting surfacing and going back down again as a 5th dive, a number of skipped skills). If people don't get Jim Lapenta's book or read Cave Diver Harry's blog to educate themselves and know what to ask, people have experiences like I did. I knew I had a bad class fairly quickly and did a fair bit of ConEd classes to correct it, but I wasn't aware of the violations until I became an instructor.

I wasn't aware of the violations in my OW course, either, until I became a professional. All the standards were right there in my log bog--if I had paid any attention to it, I would have seen how many times the instructor signed off on skills we had not done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom