Scuba Lessons Jax expelled from PADI--students left in the lurch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be specific.

My 5 dives included: deep, night, navigation, recovery (complete with tying specific knots, and completing a controlled lift from 40'), and a drift dive in pretty ripping current...I did not get to choose any of these other "adventure" dives, to "fill in" 3, of the 5 open water dive requisite...I am happy that I did not. The recovery dive was extremely challenging and I remember the sense of accomplishment and confidence I felt, being 1 of the 2 to successfully complete the task (I got to be an arrogant 18 year old jerk for a few days, then I came back to my senses) Certainly, the recovery dive was more challenging than an enriched air dive, or a photo dive (I would actually appreciate that now, since beginning to use a gopro regularly), but as an "open water" dive to get certified, I don't see it being particularly challenging, or helpful, in developing "Advanced" diving skills, either. To top it all off, I had to come back to Cincinnati before I finished my navigation dive, so my instructor would only give me OW until I completed that dive. Even though she said I was one of the best students she had ever had in the water (like I said...arrogant :) ) I did that dive in a lake in April....BBRRR....before I actually got my AOW. Again, I am very happy for this. My instructor was top-shelf and held us to that higher standard that I think is harder to come by these days...especially in resort environments...Her goal was to make us competent divers, not necessarily to make sure we bought another course from PADI which is how it seems now....but again, it was the mid 80's. Times were different...

My 5 dives included: deep, night, navigation, recovery (complete with tying specific knots, and completing a controlled lift from 40'), and a drift dive in pretty ripping current...I did not get to choose any of these other "adventure" dives, to "fill in" 3, of the 5 open water dive requisite...I am happy that I did not. The recovery dive was extremely challenging and I remember the sense of accomplishment and confidence I felt, being 1 of the 2 to successfully complete the task (I got to be an arrogant 18 year old jerk for a few days, then I came back to my senses) Certainly, the recovery dive was more challenging than an enriched air dive, or a photo dive (I would actually appreciate that now, since beginning to use a gopro regularly), but as an "open water" dive to get certified, I don't see it being particularly challenging, or helpful, in developing "Advanced" diving skills, either. To top it all off, I had to come back to Cincinnati before I finished my navigation dive, so my instructor would only give me OW until I completed that dive. Even though she said I was one of the best students she had ever had in the water (like I said...arrogant :) ) I did that dive in a lake in April....BBRRR....before I actually got my AOW. Again, I am very happy for this. My instructor was top-shelf and held us to that higher standard that I think is harder to come by these days...especially in resort environments...Her goal was to make us competent divers, not necessarily to make sure we bought another course from PADI which is how it seems now....but again, it was the mid 80's. Times were different...
The fact that you did not get a choice on the adventure dives is not a reflection of a change in standards--you should have been given a choice. That hasn't changed. A number of individual shops and instructors impose their own rules on AOW. That is what happened to you, and it still happens today. The requirements for the search and recovery dive are still the same, including the same knots. Of course your instructor would not give you the AOW certification until you completed the requirements for it--that is true today as well. The only change in the requirements since your time is that night diving is no longer a required dive. That is not to make it easier--it is because in much of the world, it is pretty darn tough to do a night dive for much of the year. DUring the months that it is warm enough to dive, it is only dark for a few hours in the middle of the night--if that.

Well, I was not only, no worse for the wear..but feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck...the night dive was a highlight, as well. Not really a knock on PADI, but I feel somehow diminished with the understanding that there are perhaps 1000's of other AOW card holders that didn't have to do nearly as much as what me and my classmates had to, to get the certification....c-card or PIC? Would actually like to get RD after all these years...but my original instructor is long gone.

Well, I was not only, no worse for the wear..but feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck...the night dive was a highlight, as well. Not really a knock on PADI, but I feel somehow diminished with the understanding that there are perhaps 1000's of other AOW card holders that didn't have to do nearly as much as what me and my classmates had to, to get the certification....c-card or PIC? Would actually like to get RD after all these years...but my original instructor is long gone.
Just to repeat unless it was not clear--the only difference between the course up to this year and your course is that night dive is no longer required. I did the same 5 dives as you when I got AOW a couple decades ago, and most of the students I know usually do about the same ones, too.

The course is changing a bit this year, primarily to update dive options due to changes in technology.

This was inevitable. I did my OW with Scuba Lessons Jax. Overall the instruction wasn't terrible, but I did leave feeling like I needed to learn a lot more so I did my AOW and Neutral Bouyancy with other shops/instructors.

I also had a pretty rough time getting registered with PADI and started this thread Instructor hasn't registered certification with PADI.

Got the email this morning from PADI View attachment 402041

I also did my OW with Scuba Lessons Jax. I thought the course felt rushed at the time but just trusted that the instructors knew what they were doing. I haven't been diving since getting the certification so I will probably do the course again and make sure I research the shop/instructor a little better. When checking the expelled PADI instructor website I see the date of his expulsion is just 3 days after the issue date on my C-card. I never received this email from PADI, so thank you for sharing!

wrf2e, have you not been diving because you didn't feel confident to dive or are there various other reasons?

If they chose elearning, they can't switch to a new instructor without buying again.. according to PADI: PADI ELEARNING

Also, the same page lists other serious restrictions like only having access to materials for 12 months. Other agencies don't make you pay again for this stuff, at least I know from personal experience that NAUI and NASE do not.
No need to buy access again. The instructor they switch to simply accepts completion form from elearning . The new instructor can use the code on form to process certification card. Student has access to material forever, all the academics and videos,just cannot use codes again.

Went ahead and got RD...what a fun course! Will probably never use it, but it's in there now....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom