SCUBA = Life support?

Do you consider SCUBA life support equipment?

• Yes

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Other (I'll explain)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
At recreational depths I do not think of, or treat, my gear as life support equipment. I consider it a convenient alternative air source but not mandatory for survival. If I'm done enjoying it's benefits I'm switching back to atmospheric air for my next breath. Deeper, in deco or in an overhead it becomes life support to me.

Occasionally I read the statement it is life support, mainly people when urging servicing, replacement or upgrading.

How does your view on this influence your attitude towards your equipment and planning?

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
Occasionally I read the statement it is life support, mainly people when urging servicing, replacement or upgrading.

It is, at least when I'm diving at depth.

How does your view on this influence your attitude towards your equipment and planning?

My view is informed by these things I know for certain:
  1. Probability theory, and a realization that I accept certain measurable risks each day with much more pedestrian (pun intended) activities.
  2. 1/x * 1/x = 1 / (x*2); that is, redundant systems provide an enormous increase in safety
  3. The inevitability of death
  4. The promise of salvation most succinctly phrased in Romans 5:8 and John 3:16.
So, yes, scuba gear is life support, and it's kinda important, like the brakes and steering on my truck. Well, maybe not that important. If my scuba gear fails, nobody's going to die but me. Then again my kids dive with my scuba gear.

Irma S. Rombauer, famous homemaker and author of "The Joy of Cooking," wrote this regarding home canning: "Carry a clean conscience in everything you do" -- no shortcuts, no shaving a minute off the times, everything scrupulously clean. Those who service oxygen equipment should heed well her lessons, and I adopt the same attitude towards my gear.

Many have tried and failed to free dive to 130 feet and stay underwater for an hour or so on one breath. Like most people, I need a tank and regulator to do that or I'll drown. I guess I consider scuba gear as life support.

Other, explain---Almost all of my diving these days is 30' deep or less. I know I can CESA from there, so basically it is not life support since it would be a very rare occasion that I would be prevented from getting to the surface. There are such things as severe cramping (which I had years ago prior to taking potassium pills). Also, there is the miniscule chance of blackout due to heart attack or whatever--To help with this I bungee cord my primary around my head to hold in the reg, so at least I have a chance to keep breathing, not drown, and wake up. In these cases, as well as on normal dives--like below that depth to100+ feet, I do consider it life support.

It is keeping me alive while I am diving == life support.

Could I survive if I ditched it? In a lot of cases, yes, for sure. But, I would also have to stop doing what I want to do. To do what I want to do (i.e. dive) it is necessary life support equipment. Without it, I cannot dive and live.

No more so than a car.

Depends. I've been on dives where it was absolutely crucial to my survival, and most others where the loss of function of any or all of my gear would be an inconvenience.

The one place it is certainly not life support, is when you are in a dive shop listening to the salesman's pitch.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom