Scuba off the island of Hawaii - East or West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the recommendation to snorkel the Kapoho pools. They're just down on the southern coast below Hilo. Not far at all, and fabulous.

I've never dived the east side and there may be some few special spots - I'd love to dive the active lava flow - but west is where you want to go, and there's a lot to choose from. However, if you're stuck in Hilo and looking to do a discover scuba dive, I'm sure they'll find you a nice enough spot, I mean how bad could it be, right? As far as driving back to Hilo after a short shallow dive and a few hours' surface interval - doesn't seem too radical.

People have occasionally managed to get bent driving back to Albuquerque (elev 5500 feet) from Blue Hole (elev 4600 feet) because I40 rises to a bit over 7000 feet about 30 minutes in the drive coming back. Saddle Road rises pretty fast and much higher relative. It's possible to do this safely, but the techniques are not taught in OW classes. So if you are thinking about driving back to Hilo after diving at Kona please talk to the Kona dive operator about your plans before booking and driving to Kona.

I want to thank everyone for their input. It has been very helpful.

A couple have asked if I plan to be certified. No, just doesn't fit it with my budget/schedule right now. My reason for getting the manual and DVD is so that I will have a little less to take in the day of the Discovery Dive.

I am so grateful for the information about altitude while driving. I knew about flying, but hadn't though about driving.

One point I'm not clear on: Is altitude an issue before the dive as well, or just after?

Thank you,

JOn

I want to thank everyone for their input. It has been very helpful.

A couple have asked if I plan to be certified. No, just doesn't fit it with my budget/schedule right now. My reason for getting the manual and DVD is so that I will have a little less to take in the day of the Discovery Dive.

I am so grateful for the information about altitude while driving. I knew about flying, but hadn't though about driving.

One point I'm not clear on: Is altitude an issue before the dive as well, or just after?

Thank you,

JOn

To answer your question altitude is not a problem before diving.

I'm not an expert on this and others should weigh in, but if a "Discovery Dive" is the same as "SNUBA" and you are only going about 10-15 feet under, some of the diving restrictions mentioned are not as strict. You may have a much shorter wait time after the dive...a few hours vs 8-12 hours before going to altitude. Check ahead and see what depth they are taking you to on the Discovery Dive. Also driving around the south side of the island, as I remember, is about 2000 feet less as opposed to cutting across Saddle Rd.

Regarding your original post, most all of the diving sites are on the west side of the island. It is the calmer side of the island that has little rain. Visibility is very good and on the surface, the water is very pretty. The east side has choppier water (not my favorite to dive in).

Don't think you can go wrong with dive ops if you haven't chosen one yet. I used Jack's Diving Locker and was very happy with them.

Good luck!

That's good to know (that altitude isn't an issue before.

One Dive Shop I've contacted (Sandwich Isle Divers) said that I would be limited to 40', which is about as deep as I'd like to go, anyway. Probably will use Saddle Rd to get thre, and take the southern road the way back.

So 8-12 hours is all that I would need to wait if taking the southern road?

Thanks again,

Jon

Discovery Dives are limited to 40'. I am not a medical professional or dive professional so not qualified to give you advice on a safe interval.

Divers Alert Network publishes this:

Capture.jpg

I will offer this - Waimea on the north side is at an elevation of 2600' - I believe the high point on Hawaii 19 is 2900'. Hawaii 11 (the south road) goes thru Volcano which is at 3750'. Also Hawaii 19 is a shorter drive back. And much of it runs along the coastline. Also there is good dining in Waikoloa if the timing works out for that. We've also had a good meal in Parker Ranch once - I don't remember the place but it's surprisingly more built up than you might think.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawai-i/210767-elevation-highway-thru-waimea.html

One other thing to be aware of - and confirm is that Discover Dives are often done in the afternoon. Many shops only have one boat so they do 2-tanks in the morning then their Discover/Certification dives in the afternoon. So verify that also with whoever you choose.

One last option to consider is the boats around Waikoloa. When you come over on the Saddle road it ends at 190 then you go south to Kona. The first major right heading south is Waikoloa road - it feeds you into the back of Waikoloa uphill by the golf courses. Both Kohala Coast or Waikoloa Divers could also be an option in that area if you don't feel the need to see Kona. There's a third option also that has a boat - I can't recall the name. Something Wilderness maybe.

All the Kona boats depart from a harbor just north of town. It's probably the difference of an extra 1/2 hr. drive so if someone works better in your schedule - go with them.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about driving, check the "Altitude Diver" specialty with PADI (not sure which books you have.) The most current book says that *driving* over passes is not an issue (no concensus, no formal recommendation beyond "be conservative.")

At the sea level, air pressure is 1 atmosphere which is equivalent of 33 feet of water. At 10,000 feet you still have 0.65 atmosphere (not nitpicking temperature distribution, humiditiy, etc.) so you lose only about 0.35 atmosphere or 1/3, which is equivalent of 11 feet of water. So, the pressure change from your dive at 40 feet to a 10,000 feet pass is comparable to the pressure change from 50 feet to the surface at the sea level. Not much of a difference.

The real problem with flying is the *rate* of pressure drop because pressurized airplanes adjust internal pressure (measured in "fpm" - feet per minute) and if there is a problem at altitude with pressurization, the pressure drop would be quick. You don't have this with driving. The time it takes you to go from 0 to 10,000 feet will affect you the same way as if you went from 10 feet underwater to the surface in the same amount of time.

Thanks again everyone for being so helpful with your knowledge. Now I have the information I need to make my plans.

Sincerely, Jon

The Kona manta dive is NOT to be missed
Lots of great shore diving on the west side, e.g., Puako

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom