Scuba Rinse Station – Looking for Suggestions or Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nairn_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After countless years of apartment diving and lugging my dive gear up elevators on hand trucks, I have finally bought a townhouse with a garage. Rinsing my dive gear in the garage using a basic Rubbermaid and a hose is wonderful; however, I am keen to set up a permanent or semi-permanent station for rinsing and drying gear.

I am thinking about getting a large Rubbermaid and installing a drain valve in the bottom attached to a hose for easy draining outside the garage (I want to change the water periodically). Unfortunately I am not sure how to do this (i.e. how to install a valve in the bottom of a Rubbermaid, what type of valve to use, what type of sealant, etc.). I am also thinking about some hanging system where the water from the gear drips into the Rubbermaid or a drip tray (Rubbermaid lid?).

Any suggestions or advice on setting up the dream garage scuba rinse station would be appreciated. Please share your descriptions or photos of your garage-based rinse station.

Cheers

For the drain, just get a replacement cooler plug from Bass Pro... it should come with the nut and gasket. Just drill a hole and plug it.

If you get a coat rack on wheels, you should be able to set the bucket on the bottom rack and just just BC/Wetsuit hangers.

If you want to get fancy, use PVC pipes with a no heat hairdryer... just drill random holes in the PVC to allow venting inside wetsuits

Not sure what a Rubbermaid is?

I recommend one of these...
wheelie-bin.jpg

For easily draining water, drill a hole and fit one of these...
plasticwaterspigot_88823.jpg

Drill an appropriately sized hole... the valve itself will fasten on either side of the hole. Some plumbers tap is normally enough to seal the threads. Attach a hose if necessary to reach a drain.

Alternatively, you could use a rain barrel (below). These can be bought ready assembled in garden shops. Some have removable lids. If not, just saw the top off. The taps are ready fitted for emptying.

rain-barrel.jpg

rainbarrel_colors.jpg

My final suggestion would be to investigate a galvanised metal or plastic water horse trough. These come in a variety of sizes. Some have drain taps...or you could easily fit one...
images
watertrough.JPG

If you really run into fits with the drain, head for the local yacht supply and buy the PVC thru-hull in 3/4 inch. You will easily be able to then head for home depot (or the hardware store) to get the plumbing to rig up a valve and hose bib. If you don't know what a thru-hull is, google it or ask at the yacht supply. Tell them what you want to do, they will be very helpful.

We use one of THESE.

rIi3c5Ss1XzGE6MalwI9CIWdUZkDBaH0j9wNLGNn7SLw2l-y6PE7omVuCYwGzsA1Ls32RIdp1-VMZtp2xxqCLczbOjffWScSP3yAv-GQu-Zu2hAV25iAWJwmd-mmLXwXBpTgpb4O1pubZW_r-H-A9biQ-AilpKtfQhI31No

It comes with a drain hole, which isn't quite in the bottom, but we bought an inexpensive adapter and spigot from Home Depot and put that in. We can drain all but about 3/4" of water from the tank that way, and tip it to get rid of the rest. A 100 gallon tank is big enough for two scooters, or to put a single tank rig in and have it lie down. And one of the good things about these is that, being stock tanks, they're built tough enough to be kicked and knocked over and survive it, so they tolerate dive gear well. Our normal Rubbermail tubs have cracked in the bottom from the weight of the gear, and that didn't take very long to happen.

We use one of THESE.

rIi3c5Ss1XzGE6MalwI9CIWdUZkDBaH0j9wNLGNn7SLw2l-y6PE7omVuCYwGzsA1Ls32RIdp1-VMZtp2xxqCLczbOjffWScSP3yAv-GQu-Zu2hAV25iAWJwmd-mmLXwXBpTgpb4O1pubZW_r-H-A9biQ-AilpKtfQhI31No

It comes with a drain hole, which isn't quite in the bottom, but we bought an inexpensive adapter and spigot from Home Depot and put that in. We can drain all but about 3/4" of water from the tank that way, and tip it to get rid of the rest. A 100 gallon tank is big enough for two scooters, or to put a single tank rig in and have it lie down. And one of the good things about these is that, being stock tanks, they're built tough enough to be kicked and knocked over and survive it, so they tolerate dive gear well. Our normal Rubbermail tubs have cracked in the bottom from the weight of the gear, and that didn't take very long to happen.

That is the same thing we use. We were able to order it online and have it delivered to a local hardware store where I picked it up. It's big enough to soak 2 rebreathers and 4 Al40 bailout bottles at one time. It works great. And it is taking a beating and shows no wear.

40 In. x 24 In. Double Bowl Utility Tub

My favorite set-up is a wash and rinse station; Simple Green in one side. If you are thorough in your washing, when the wash tub is too dirty, drain it and refill to be the new rinse. Put some SG in the old rinse water to make new wash water, and it is plenty good for the "second half" of the wash.

Great in water conservation areas. :)

Kind of funny how the side bar advertisements work here; I now see a NexTag ad on some pages with three utility sinks, including the one I linked above. :idk:

Thnx for some great ideas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom