Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom, I'm suspecting it was a never ending black hole -- owner wouldn't pay 'cause he knew the crew would fix it.

As Bmsrfan said, that is why he left. That young Cap'n that was piloting . . . He gets to bare the brunt of the backlash.

If something like this wasn't fixed, one can only guess at how many more problems there were.

I have a problem with this situation, It just come down to a womans life being worth less then 20 dollars in material and labour.

Most of the time the crew understands it is their life on the line, and they will make those repairs. :idk: I never have had an issue with reimbursement in those cases.

The crew knew the worst case scenario could happen and choose to go with it.

Looking the other way or expecting "someone else" to deal with it is what cost this woman her life. Shameful. VERY shameful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Debby. On my iPhone.

I was interested to know what type of boat the "Get Wet" is. Scuba Shack's website says it is a custom 30' Burpee, and shows a photo:

Get Wet.jpg

I noticed that a thread has been started in A & I, so I wasn't sure where to post any discussion of the boat. Seems like it would be in the A & I thread, but then the discussion here has already become somewhat technical (?)

OMG, you guys, Please stop shooting the messenger!!!

Bmsrfan gave us good feedback, and your reaction sure isn't going to help!

It's real easy to point the finger of what you think would be done, but you were not there!

I can only imagine the dread and anguish felt when this young captain received the news. You cannot MAKE someone be responsible for his or her business. Working in that situation, and finally deciding to move on because the owner didn't care enough . . . what else can you do?

As for reporting to the USCG - "Uh, the owner won't replace some seals and screws, and I think it could sink the boat . . ." Seriously? Do you think the poor guy would get any credence?

I think this took enormous courage on Bmsrfan's part. I am guessing he'll be haunted by this for most of his life.

While I 100% believe that a captain is responsible for all that happens, or fails to happen, on his craft; there comes a point when you have to say Eff-it, and get a new job, when the owner doesn't give a damn.

EDIT: Looks like the others just posted about the same.....

Here's the boat.

Scuba Diving boats, Snorkeling Boats, Fishing charter boats

boatsgetwetcloseup.gif

"Get Wet"

A custom 30 ft. Burpee dive
boat for a private charter feel.

Most likely a "6 pack". (No Coast Guard inspection required by law).

from their website:
Since nobody wants to feel like herded cattle we only take out a maximum of six divers, snorkelers, or lucky fishermen. All that extra room will make you feel like you're on your own private cruise. You'll even have the comfort of knowing that there will be a guide in the water with you on all of our dive trips.

Bmsrfan I understand where your at before post 40, Scuba shack has all but totally failed and I know this from other operators I have been on. yet the charter money always seems to cover the shop, I like to use just a charter not joined with shops when possible.

Reactions: Jax
Hey jax Bmsrfan has been straight on this and it is not that he is a coward, Bmsrfan has to get through this as it is a very bad time for him and all this will pass, but right now it is time to get all facts out so it can be delt with accordingly by law.

Thanks mike for presenting looks hard to get out of that boat if gone down stern first.

I personally think it'd be easy to get out of . (but it's easy for me to say that on "monday morning" afterwards).

The lady was on a "Discover Scuba" trip, could have been possibly moving forward (upward) as it went down to try to stay out of the water. She got in a 'temp' air pocket perhaps? and "rode it down". (DISCLAIMER: PURE SPECULATION)

She could have also been pinned by an engine hatch as noted above. (in previous post by someone)

She could have been hit in the head by the engine hatch or something else, rendering her unable to move on her own.

We've all seen people "pinned in air compartments" in the movies on something that's sunk. We must remember that this is all "in the movies" and doesn't mean that stuff happens like that in real life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom