Scuba Shop Burns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm sad to report that a fire destroyed homes and businesses during the early morning hours of Friday February 13, 2004 in the small community of PaaMul, Q Roo.

ScubaMex, which has been in business in PaaMul (located 12 km south of Playa del Carmen) for over 10 years was burnt to the ground. It is reported that the fire started in the restaurant located next door to the scuba shop and spread north along the beach destroying homes until Fire crews were able to contain the blaze. There is no word yet if dive operations are continue soon.

Photos can be seen at:PaaMul

I was sad to learn of this. I have been in contact with them several times in the last couple of weeks, getting ready to book dive trips with them. They were really close to the hotel we are going to be staying at, their prices were good, and from what I could tell by their emails, really, really nice people. They offered to do anything they could to make our stay more enjoyable. I hope they get back up and running soon, as my trip is scheduled in April. At any rate, I wish the best for them and hope everything works out.

My wife and I were just there a month ago.. it's always been our favorite spot. I emailed a friend that's been camping there all winter but haven't heard back yet if the campsite got burned too or if it was contained to the traveltrailers/motorhomes/palapas .. What about the restaraunt owners' house and casa willis, the dive shop owners house? Hope they faired o.k.
Thanks for posting the link to the pictures..

holdingmybreath:
My wife and I were just there a month ago.. it's always been our favorite spot. I emailed a friend that's been camping there all winter but haven't heard back yet if the campsite got burned too or if it was contained to the traveltrailers/motorhomes/palapas .. What about the restaraunt owners' house and casa willis, the dive shop owners house? Hope they faired o.k.
Thanks for posting the link to the pictures..

The fire destroyed the trailers/palapas along the beach from the dive shop up to the houses. The houses and the rest of the campground are all right.

We went to Paamul to say hi to John Everett one of the owners of ScubaMex. He was my husbands instructor when he got certified 20 years ago, then he moved to Paamul and opened the dive shop.

We had just been in contact with John before the fire and so were shocked when we drove up and saw it all burned down. We didn't get a chance to see John as he was gone to Cancun to rustle up more equipment. They are still operating though.

Pez de Diablo:
I'm sad to report that a fire destroyed homes and businesses during the early morning hours of Friday February 13, 2004 in the small community of PaaMul, Q Roo.

ScubaMex, which has been in business in PaaMul (located 12 km south of Playa del Carmen) for over 10 years was burnt to the ground. It is reported that the fire started in the restaurant located next door to the scuba shop and spread north along the beach destroying homes until Fire crews were able to contain the blaze. There is no word yet if dive operations are continue soon.

Photos can be seen at:PaaMul

Very unfortunate and difficult for the people that retired there, they have lost everything, the wonderful thing is how the community has come together reaching out with many helping hands.

Back
Top Bottom