Scuba Tank economics and buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that it is mainly convenience not cost for owning own tanks.

As above when you consider the cost of maintenance and air fills which are included in the first fill for rentals.

A steel tank such as an HP100 versus an Al80. One will be able to drop about 4-5lbs off belt due to the buoyancy characteristics of the empty cylinder. HP100 empty -2.5lbs and AL80 +2lbs.

I purchased my aluminum and steel tanks when they were on sale. Just ask when there will be a sale on tanks at the store.

Just a follow-up my original post and some of the concerns regarding the amount of lead I am wearing when using the aluminum 80 tank.

Unfortunately, in the environment where I dive (North Atlantic) I am required to wear a two piece 7 mm wetsuit, boot, gloves, and hood. Thus, the need for the current 40 lbs of lead due to the buoyancy of the suit (I am still convinced that the zipper flap alone on the Pinnacle Escape step-in jacket accounts for at least 2 lbs of lead as it appears to be at least 8 - 10 mm thick- much thicker than other suits I have seen).

One other thing that you might consider, if you are really doing a lot of diving up here in the North Atlantic, is a backplate and wing. I don't mean to start THAT thread again (there are a bunch of them here on SB!), but instead of the net positive buoyancy of an (empty) jacket BC due to the padding, with a steel backplate you have 6 lbs negative to start with. Stick a weight in the tank adapter, and that's another 6 lbs. I dive steel 120s, use ankle weights (4 lbs) and only 6 lbs in the weight pockets (with a dry suit).

I don't know what your budget is, but it sounds like you are pretty committed to local diving (50 dives a season is great!). It's not a cheap sport, but if you are really going to be diving around here that much, you may eventually end up with a dry suit and backplate anyway. MUCH more comfortable all around IMHO.

Mike

DBS,
One word of caution in the event you decide to buy a tank or two. Once you buy one of them they are as addicitive as Crack. A couple years after getting certified, I bought my first tank. Now 8 years later I have to constantly answer my wifes question of "Do you really need 20 Scuba tanks?" I always tell her that yes, I do. I also do not correct her that I acctually have 22. Additionally, I am now a owner of a hydro shop. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom