ScubaBoard divers age group

Diver survey ... which age group are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 26 now, started diving at 11, but had a long period of no diving while I was busy with national level baseball, hockey, martial arts in high school. Then I went to university and lacked the time and money to dive much then, and I never stopped missing it. Now I'm out of school, employed full time making reasonable money, and I'm diving more than ever. I've definetly had to make concessions to be able to dive as much as I like, and to be able to afford the tech classes to do the types of dives that I like, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hopefully I'll be logged on here 35 years from now, harassing all the young whipper snappers.

Yeah ... we hope so too ... someone's got to harass those young whipper snappers

I just turned 59. Next year I'll be an 8-percenter! I'll still be diving, too! And skiing. And sailing.

Xmas of 2006 my husband's family all went to Puerto Vallarta for my inlaws' 50th wedding anniversary. My husband was already a certified diver and I decided to join him and get certified while down there. So in the summer of 2006 I phoned everyone in his family eligible to take their OW and asked if anyone would like to take the classes and get certified with me. Out of 19 people travelling, 2 were elderly and 4 were children, so that means I asked 11 people. Not one was interested!:confused: Not even my own children, who were 18 and 20 at the time. The adults with the younger children said there was no point as they would need a sitter in order to dive. One person declared a fear of fish.:shocked2: Others cited lack of time to do the theory and pool dives at home, cost, or general fear of the sport, or sharks, or whatever. I was so excited about doing it, and ended up doing it alone even with the whole family there. We have done a couple of trips since then, and shown the family some great photos, but there is still no indicatation of any interest in the younger members of the family. Go figure. You can see from my signature which age group my husband and I fall into.:wink:

Last edited:
I just turned 59. Next year I'll be an 8-percenter! I'll still be diving, too! And skiing. And sailing.
My grandfathers brother where still skiing and ski-jumping! at the age of 90 (May he rest in peace knowing he made fools of all the ones that though hed die with skis on his feet) so given you stay in good health youll have many years of diving, skiing and sailing yet :)

I know Estelle has not clicked on the Poll because Estelle is 89.

While diving in the Sea of Cortez we happened to be on a boat with two senior citizen groups... one from Detroit Michigan and the other from San Diego California.

I know for a fact that all 18 of the divers were at least 60, most over 70 and Estelle was 89.

What I'm really seeing here is that the older folks either don't know Scubaboard exists, don't care for it.. or still don't know how to use computers... because the one thing I do know... is there are a lot more senior divers out there then are clicking on this poll.

What I'm really seeing here is that the older folks either don't know Scubaboard exists, don't care for it.. or still don't know how to use computers... because the one thing I do know... is there are a lot more senior divers out there then are clicking on this poll.

Thanks for that ... was looking at the massive decline in the next age step (60 - 69) and wondering whether I was going to be in the luck third that continued diving

Damn ... the 30 to 39ers just hit 100 ... come on you older divers lets show those younguns

I was just glad to see that people keep diving, inspite of getting older.

we are. And the other day I tied my own shoes again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom