ScubaBoard divers age group

Diver survey ... which age group are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting to see that many of the under 30 group had dad's who needed a buddy. I know my son is in this category and he could in no way afford diving if it weren't for his dad.

To me the cost is insignificant. I get to and have spent some fantastic quality time with my son during our ten years of diving.

It started that way for my dad and I but due to his work schedule he hasn't had a chance to dive in a while. I've been able to keep logging dives by diving with folks from my LDS (including my boss).

I used to go on dive boats with my dad when I was a kid Between age 5-10. He however, stopped diving because of family and especially work. At that time I was very interested in taking up the sport when I would be old enough to get certified, but when I was old enough, he was not diving anymore. I took up golf (another expensive sport) when I was 14 and played on the high school golf team. When I went to college, I stopped playing golf competitively. I ended up getting a decent paying job in my Senior year of college which provided me money to do things that I could not do before. I was lucky that I was still living at home and not paying a lot of expenses including rent. I decided to take up SCUBA and get certified at 23 and bought my dive gear later in the same year. I also got to go diving in Hawaii and the Carribean within a year. I am now almost 28 years old and have logged almost 85 dives. I am hoping that I am still doing this sport when I am 70.

Working for a dive shop can help with those expences, plus the perk of free air (depending on the boss) :)

Looks like us "not getting any younger" divers are losing the battle of numbers in more ways than one:depressed:

The problem is that the majority of the youngies are too busy on the computer, texting or playing electronic games and don't have the muscles or stamina to do anything that doesn't require for one to be sitting down, using no physical energy, to accomplish it.

The problem is that the majority of the youngies are too busy on the computer, texting or playing electronic games and don't have the muscles or stamina to do anything that doesn't require for one to be sitting down, using no physical energy, to accomplish it.

:Dso are you saying the youngsters are more likely to be doing "internet diving" and some of us are more likely to be too busy diving to be on the internet so much?:)

I like that concept.... I will accept that as my reality and reject other realities and facts that don't support that decision!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I got certified in 1986, but didn't dive much after that, raising kids, etc. When my youngest son was 12 (older one was 16) they got certified and I got re-certified, in 2002. They are now 21 and 24 and we all go diving occasionally. They don't have alot of money to spend, I usually foot the bill, or we shore dive at the Blue Heron Bridge in WPB. I love diving with them, they are so comfortable underwater. It makes me very proud to have such great guys in my life ( and hubby too!)

I voted on this poll when it first started. That was in the 50-59 group. I certified when I was 39. Then I realized :shocked2: that I'm in the next group in 4 months.

Oh well, I'm still going to do 4 trips to S. California on 3 day boat dives and finally dive the Cenotes in Mexico this year. YIPEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee

Last edited:
hmm I wonder if the OP will let me post again when I change age groups... I do have a bit of time to work on it... but maybe better start now

Going through a recent IDC, it was pointed out that as baby boomers are retiring and staying younger (mentally, better shape etc, maybe not years wise) they are able to try scuba and other sports that used to be thought of as younger sports. It also helps that as we get older we tend to have a better cash flow :)

Any new SB'ers who want to join the numbers here.. I keep hoping we can find some help getting our age group to outnumber the youngsters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom