ScubaBoard TOS on Harassment and Cyberbullying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi ScubaSteve,

Of course I do not have multiple accounts. I have better things to do with my time. Could it just possibly be that I am not the only SB member who dared to share a different opinion on his thread? :shocked2:

Just asking the question that the funrecdiver introduced. I have no dog in this fight. Trust me, many people on SB do not share my opinions so I know where you are coming from.

No problem. I just took issue with some of his observations/reports (as did many others). Admittedly I did get on his case a little mainly due to the 'I am better than you' attitude. I have no wish to be permanently removed from SB as I find it a very interesting and informative forum. I have been living and diving in Thailand for many years (with no vested interest in any dive centre). Just like him 'I do it for fun'. I have been a regular visitor to SB for a number of years but never 'joined' or posted before. Unfortunately for some people, now I'm here, hopefully, I'm here to stay :D

The Internet: Serious Business.

Really guys, it's a post online by a stranger. Ignore it and move on. If it really bothers you, remember the GIFT:
GIFT - Television Tropes & Idioms (Has strong language. I'd say NSFW, but the corp filter here didn't snag it.)

If that post still bothers you remember the following:
1. You won't change anyone's opinion.
2. They could be trying to egg you on.
3. Some people will deliberately add gas to the fire to see what happens.
4. Internet: Serious Business.

Paying too much attention is like paying too much attention to the crazy homeless guy downtown. Any minute he's going to start screaming about how the government is helping the corn muffins take over his ears and the gays and aliens are building landing strips for queer martians and WHARGARBGL

Based on the posts in this thread (I haven't seen what's going on in the Thailand sub-forum), an analogy has come to mind. If you're in a grocery store (or any store for that matter) and you see (or think you see) somebody stealing something, you could ignore it or point it out to an employee or security guard (sort of like the report button). If you decide to jump on the person because the security guard didn't immediately remove the apparent thief from the store, the security guard may ask you to leave. If you constantly point out thieves to security, they may start to ignore you for crying "wolf" or ask you to leave the store. If you find there is not enough security and theft in a store is important to you, you can go to another store with a guard in every aisle.

Back to SB, if you see a problem, report it and then ignore the offending poster. If they are being purposely obnoxious, you'll make the problem worse, not better. If that poster fails to get their desired reaction, they may eventually give up.

The Internet: Serious Business.

Really guys, it's a post online by a stranger. Ignore it and move on. If it really bothers you, remember the GIFT:
GIFT - Television Tropes & Idioms (Has strong language. I'd say NSFW, but the corp filter here didn't snag it.)

If that post still bothers you remember the following:
1. You won't change anyone's opinion.
2. They could be trying to egg you on.
3. Some people will deliberately add gas to the fire to see what happens.
4. Internet: Serious Business.

Paying too much attention is like paying too much attention to the crazy homeless guy downtown. Any minute he's going to start screaming about how the government is helping the corn muffins take over his ears and the gays and aliens are building landing strips for queer martians and WHARGARBGL

I wish I knew how to give this a thumbs up!!!

Like this:

:thumb:

:thumb:

The tags, [noparse] and [/plain], enable you to post code without it being displayed as output.​

Funrecdiver seems to have a complex of many dimensions. Superior/persecution/God type multi-complex. He gets defensive on threads when questioned, snippy to rude, but that's okay, because it's him. He is right, just ask him, he'll tell you. And he likes to whine about everyone picking on him and not being fair to him. But "fair" seems to be whatever it is he wants. Go figure.

Funrecdiver seems to have a complex of many dimensions. Superior/persecution/God type multi-complex. He gets defensive on threads when questioned, snippy to rude, but that's okay, because it's him. He is right, just ask him, he'll tell you. And he likes to whine about everyone picking on him and not being fair to him. But "fair" seems to be whatever it is he wants. Go figure.

Not very Zen of you...

A master and his student are walking along the path. There is a barking dog that interrupts the student's contemplation.

"Master, I cannot concentrate with that dog barking."

The master replies, "What dog?"

The student bowed his head and they continued their walk.

If sock puppets are used, it is very easy to check the IP address from which a post was made. Just click Report, give a polite reason, and says thanks.
Where is the freedom of speech?
The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is in no danger at all here, but it seems that some Americans have little understanding that it means you can criticize the government and a few other rights not to be confused with libel and slander.
Not necessarily. I reported someone for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago for what I considered the most offensive post I've read in years. No-one even got back to me about the issue.
Moderating this board fairly is a major challenge, so often a thankless job, and while discussions probably happen in confidence between Mods, explaining the chats, decisions, and actions chosen is way to must to expect.
My recent experience has been that if you follow the TOS and report something, then some moderators will threaten to remove you from the forums for reporting!

Or, if there is a stalker on the board who does not contribute, goes on the attack when they don't like someone, and registers multiple IDs to keep attacking once banned; and you point out the TOS, then the mods treat "pointing out the TOS" like a capital crime, LOL.

The problem is not the customers who follow the TOS. The problem is the lack of moderation and replying on the "user reporting model"
I find that challenging to accept, but send any questionable PMs to NetDoc. He supports his Mod team but is very fair with everyone and will not tolerate such alleged abuses.
Nevermind... I will just block all PMs except admins and moderators since we cannot individual abusers like Thai_Diver, who seems to be threatening me via PM now, LOL.
Forward those.
Please use the report button on these PMs and if, they are in fact, abusive they will be dealt with.
[-]There is not one on PMs, but forwarding is easy.[/-] Ok so there is a Report button; news to me. Forwarding to Netdoc is still an option if preferred.

By the way, thanks Mods. :thumb: I don't always agree with y'all, but appreciate you all still...!!

Back
Top Bottom