ScubaBoard's greatest gift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
ScubaBoard has introduced me to some amazing people who have become some of my dearest friends. My life has been greatly enriched by diving with, hosting or being hosted by these people.

I wonder how many other people have made friendships on SB that developed into significant friendships or even lifelong partners "in the real world". I know there was a thread about this a long time ago. Most of the posters in it are gone now so reactivating it would just mean pages of posts that weren't relative.

Currently active on SB are these treasured friends.
@Acanthurus
@boulderjohn
@bygolly
@D_B
@gypsyjim
@mselenaous
netdoc
@scubajenny
@Searcaigh

There are others who are no longer active here. So who have you got to meet? Did you get to dive with them.. become friends.. perhaps even partners? Lets count our blessings.....

Last edited:
I have actually been fortunate enough to meet a number of folks from SB because of trips I have posted here. I think the number of members who now travel as part of our group is about 15 or so. Not only have these folks become friends of mine, but they all keep coming back and going on more trips as part of our group so I think that says a lot about the group as a whole.

I've dove with Scubaboard folks in Florida, California and Mexico. I have found it to be a fantastic resource to find captains for private trips but also a great place for group and individual dive buddies.

Wonderful thread idea.

By the generosity of friendship, advice and experiences my life is richer due to those who have shared portions if it with me via this board.

A particularly life changing impact: Last year dozens of us helped me edit and refine a proposal to allow me to launch a youth therapeutic diving program for PTSD related to childhood trauma. It was approved with the rewrite. I've not had the privilege of meeting those who helped in this way. But I'm humbled how their contribution online has changed the shape of my life, the participants and their families.

I haven't met as many of you as I'd like but liked every one I've met.

Dive happy,
Cameron

There are others who are no longer active here. So who have you got to meet? Did you get to dive with them.. become friends.. perhaps even partners? Lets count our blessings.....

Lynne an Peter jump to mind in my case. I've met other SB members over the years but I think Lynne an Peter were the first "online" friends I've ever had where that online friendship spilled over into real-life.

Those are the only names I'll mention because I've had so many positive experiences with people on this board and I'm always afraid I'll miss someone.

There have been quite a few who I have felt close to. I can get attached to people fairly easily under the right conditions and I've had a number of encounters with people on the board over the years that were "special" to me.

One was an ex-moderator who I am absolutely sure would have become a friend IRL if we had lived closer. He had a girlfriend who he met via the site who was also someone I had a special bond with. As a couple they didn't work out and online friendships are fleeting so I lost contact with both of them, alas.

One was an ex-member who was a severe PADI critic but became a mentor for me in some ways both in and outside of diving. He taught me that there is a crucial difference between being critical and being cynical. At times I felt he crossed that line but he was always very acutely aware of the line..... On the whole I wish I could have spent a year diving with him. I still use some of the skills I learned from him every day in my day job.

I can hardly count the number who have made me a better instructor. So many discussions, so many PM exchanges... so much passion and dedication for the sport.... One in particular needs naming; @boulderjohn (ok.... I will mention one more name). We have never met in real life and I find this to be unacceptable. I've learned so much from him. He's more than a mentor. He is the iconic instructor to me. Someone who sets the bar and gives me the example I want to emulate. The click we have is almost audible and as an instructor he has brought out the best in me and taken me on a journey of personal and professional development that I couldn't have dreamed about 10 years ago. Being asked to help him describe "neutral teaching" and being part of the movement that resulted in PADI tightening up their standards is something I'll be proud about for the rest of my life.

There have also been those who made me want to give up. To quit scubaboard and write it off.... Sometimes I became so angry that I wanted to shake them until they understood.... There were those who were aggressive to me as well.... death threats, ignore lists, nit-picking every post you make.... I've never had anyone "hit on me" via the board but I understand that this also happens if you are young and beautiful..... Personally I would swap death threats for someone hitting on me every day of the week....

On the whole... why am I here and why do I stay? Because this is *social* media and despite all of the failings of social media I believe that I am better off knowing you all than I would be without it.

R..

I met wandersome here and after referring him to an op in Thailand he asked about Phillipines so We met there after finding a post from Golo who was going to be there but his buddy couldn't meet the trip.

The three of us dived from one year to the next on a midnight dive NYE at Monkey Beach in Sabang amongst the craziness of PI partying and fireworks shooting out to sea (Getting to dive site was like a scene from apocalypse now - duck! - incoming) and shared a beer at the stroke of midnight at 30m. Great time.

I met Wetpup briefly on a flying visit to Perth but wasn't diving weather and sharky to the point of being ridiculous that week with almost all beaches closed. If she had more time I'm sure we would've snuck in a dive.

Also met a group of people I've dived with multiple times after spotting a trip here.

I won't name him, but I got my regular dive buddy and friend from SB. He got certified just a few months before I did. Good diver, patient, willing to dive as much as I am, and going through Advanced with me.

I've met a few other people from SB. One fellow whose SB user name I cannot remember who I've dove with. Then there's Schwob and his wife. We regularly do laps together at the same gym we belong to a couple nights a week.

Not so much here but on my motorcycle forum I've met some amazing friends...these forum open a medium that allows such.

At first...12 years ago, my wife thought it was weird. Now she enjoys the friendship as well and we even converted rider friends into diving buddies :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom