ScubaBoard's greatest gift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lynne an Peter jump to mind in my case. I've met other SB members over the years but I think Lynne an Peter were the first "online" friends I've ever had where that online friendship spilled over into real-life.

Those are the only names I'll mention because I've had so many positive experiences with people on this board and I'm always afraid I'll miss someone.
I was afraid of the same thing and you are right. How could I have missed @bygolly ? :sadangel: edited to put him where he deserves to be..
I agree BOP. Wouldn't have met you without this forum.

I can hardly count the number who have made me a better instructor. So many discussions, so many PM exchanges... so much passion and dedication for the sport.... One in particular needs naming; @boulderjohn (ok.... I will mention one more name). We have never met in real life and I find this to be unacceptable. I've learned so much from him. He's more than a mentor. He is the iconic instructor to me. Someone who sets the bar and gives me the example I want to emulate. The click we have is almost audible and as an instructor he has brought out the best in me and taken me on a journey of personal and professional development that I couldn't have dreamed about 10 years ago. Being asked to help him describe "neutral teaching" and being part of the movement that resulted in PADI tightening up their standards is something I'll be proud about for the rest of my life.
@boulderjohn is the only one of those I listed I haven't got to dive with. I would love to correct that one day. I will say he is even more awesome in real life than he seems to be online. I remember standing on a Green Peace ship after the young guide gave us the tour and watching in amazement. The tour started going pear shaped when one of the tour group started challenging the guide. He had clearly "drank the cool aide" of the nay sayers. She had "drank the coolaide" of the activists. John gently took control of the situation. Somehow he managed to appease the protester by acknowledging some of the over the top claims of the guide while supporting the appropriate aspects that had been presented. In no time the Guide lost the "deer in the headlights look". Everyone benefited that day by his intelligent presentation of the facts. He is one heck of a teacher to be able to turn that situation around with such quiet confident humility.

There have also been those who made me want to give up. To quit scubaboard and write it off.... Sometimes I became so angry that I wanted to shake them until they understood.... There were those who were aggressive to me as well.... death threats, ignore lists, nit-picking every post you make.... I've never had anyone "hit on me" via the board but I understand that this also happens if you are young and beautiful..... Personally I would swap death threats for someone hitting on me every day of the week....

On the whole... why am I here and why do I stay? Because this is *social* media and despite all of the failings of social media I believe that I am better off knowing you all than I would be without it.

R..

Gotta agree with you on that as well @Diver0001
It was the support of the people I listed and a few others got me through The dark days after the dive fatality. I just wanted to run and hide but you helped me to stay. Without you, boulderjohn and CaveDiver posting factual information for me and supporting me through PM's I just don't know how hubby and I would have got through it! :flowers:

Last edited:
I want to like every post in this thread........suggestion to @The Chairman, can you incorporate "like thread" button?
Unfortunately, I've never met any of SB members in RL, sure would like to change that......but there are many that helped me with their knowledge, even if they were not obligated to........to all of you, I give you a big THANK YOU.

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog ... unless your avatar is a dog.
Or you post like a dog.. :giggle: sorry I am a visual and your post made me think of a dog peeing and pooping on posts.. somehow that kinda fits some posters :facepalm: The majority are so great here. It doesn't matter if SB's greatest gift for you is the people you connect with , locating a good instructor, Dive Operator, Dive Medical Professional or information you read here. I think we'd all like to know..:cheers:

As one of the fng's around here I have not been able to actually meet anyone but the amount on knowledge that I have gained through other people's posts has been astounding.

Lots of knowledge and discussion that helps put the knowledge in perspective. From one person you often get "X is good". From a discussion you get "X is good" provided you are doing Y but Z is better for Y or Z is better for W than X.

I dive with a SB member but I did not meet him that way. On a number of boats, I have had SB members introduce themselves and we have had a nice talk during the dive. They recognized the white hat. [ White hat 1 was purchased 15 years ago at a ski resort and became my boat hat. Got lost after a few years. Then I spent 2 years looking for another one, that model is no longer made. Finally found white hat 2 in a marina store in Puerto Rico a few years ago.]

There are also local/regional dive boards. I can think of two in my area of NC. I have met and dived with many of their members and got a couple of good friends out of it also. I would have far fewer dive buddies without the local boards.

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog ... unless your avatar is a dog.

Or you bark like a dog. I have a hunch that a lot of members do not actually look like their avatar unless fish, sharks, icons, gorillas, etc. have learned to type. :)

For me the biggest gift SB has given me is the access to the collective knowledge of thousands of divers.

From that it is up to me to pick the wheat from the chaff but it is normally pretty easy.

I have to say that I haven't managed to dive with any SB members but might later in the year if plans with @Searcaigh and his friend come to fruition.

searcaigh is an awesome guy both during the dive and the Surface interval. Hope it works out for you to get together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom