• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Scubaclub Cozumel

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Reidster, Feb 15, 2015.

1. jlyle

jlyle Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    No restrictions at SCC other than grabbing tanks for night dives before the dive shop closes for the night at 6:00 PM.

Take a mesh bag to carry your gear to/from the boats. At this time of year, a windbreaker will be useful as it can get cool on the ride back to the hotel. Take a small lock for the gear lockers. Take lots of small denomination bills for tips, etc. Don't expect the taxi driver to have change for a twenty.

Have a wonderful time, take lots of pictures and share your experience when you get home. Tell everyone you see at SCC, Jim Lyle says "hello."

BettyfromToronto likes this.
  2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Some places do. Some of the Roatan resorts require divers attend an orientation meeting the morning after arrival where the Dive manager goes on & on, then pretends to check cards. Last time I gave him my faulty Padi card that has my ID but no certification info, and it worked. Then they often require everyone to do a check-out dive together. After that, shore diving is allowed.

Nitrox card.jpg

3. dmoore19

dmoore19 Denizen of the PUB ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    so you presented them with a fake card? wow isnt that cool, way to go Don:wink:

4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

Not exactly fake. Just a faulty card, a Padi mistake. Wanted to see if he'd notice?

I've thought about adding a "Super Duper Diver" lettering to the blank, but I doubt anyone would notice that either.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    cvchief likes this.
  5. BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto Manta Ray

I stayed at Scuba Club 5x in 2 years before moving here. I love SCC and the main tip here is to bring a small lock for the locker like Jim Lyle said.

6. nodakdive

nodakdive Barracuda

What DandyDon described is very close to what this resort was doing. You couldn't dive until you "checked in", and the opportunity to check in was narrow. There was no "check-out" dive though. It seemed to be a clear attempt to limit the "included" diving.

Don't get me started on the rest of that dive program...

7. dmoore19

dmoore19 Denizen of the PUB ScubaBoard Supporter

I believe that Don mentioned a Roatan resort, not SCC.

8. gmountai

gmountai Angel Fish

Question regarding SCC, my wife are staying there the second week in March. We will arrive probably about 7:00pm on Sunday. We have never stayed at an AI, and heard good things about SCC. Should we skip the Monday morning dive and do a couple of shore dives, or is the pace on the dive boat slow and easy enough for us to do a bouyancy check and get acclimated in the water? Thanks!

9. nodakdive

nodakdive Barracuda

Correct. I wasn't referring to SCC either. I was responding to ggun's comment on the Jamaican resort described in my original post, which he mentioned in his reply.

10. Reidster

Reidster Nassau Grouper

Good advice on bringing locks for the lockers . . . Thank you!