ScubaPro Classic Plus BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everyone -

I am most likely purchasing my first BC in the next few weeks -- the ScubaPro Classic Plus from my LDS. I like it, tried it on and it's well regarded by the people I trust at at my LDS.

What do you guys think? Any strong points to this BC? Things to watch out for? Positives? Negatives? As an aside, I am a new diver and this will be my first BC. I'd like to get something I don't need to upgrade in 3 years.

Brian

Does this BC have adjustable shoulder straps? I think the classic does not have this feature. Without any capability to adjust the shoulder straps, a BC will fit well with only one type of suit configuration. If you plan on switching between a 3 mm shorty for tropical and 7mm for cold water, a BC with non-adjustable shoulders would not be my choice.

I have a new SP Classic Plus which is only 6 months old. Hear is my advice choose a BC your happy with and the type of diving you'll be doing! Now the pro is you'll have alot of lift to stay afloat but cons if you pack on alot of pounds I mean alot it may not fit you anymore. Reason why wanted to get this BC was it's simple grear lift above water. I also have the SP A700. the pockets are alittle small to store things but over all you should stop by the store and have a look for yourself

Brian, please review the information I have already posted in this forum. I have included pictures as well. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

This pertains to the sp classic bc

Brian,

I have that exact BC in the large size and absolutely love it. I have used it with a 2 and 3 mm shorty as well as a 5mm full suit and have had no problems with the fit. I think it's a very high quality BC. I also like the way the weight pockets clip into the BC and just doesn't rely on velcro to do the job. I have never lost a weight pouch yet. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choice.

It's a pretty good BC, but it has padding. Padding creates drag and requires additional lead. Go with the Classic Sport instead. It's much more streamlined. You'll appreciate that in current. Your wallet will also like the Classic Sport better.

Walter is right about the Classic Sport. I would have bought it but if I remember correctly, it is not WI. I was wanting to get away from the weight belt so I went with the Plus but if that feature had not been important to me, I would have bought the Sport model.

Brian, as this is going to be my last thread on scubaboard, I would like to share with you the wisdom of my years. The following obsevations are based on my experience level, and are my observations alone. Please use them as a tool only.

First alittle history, As of next year, sb and I will have been dating for 30 years. And though we are having a lovers quarrel right now, I would not have stayed in this relationship, as long as I did if I were not happy. I am not going to support a company if it does not best serve my interests.

SB has, in my opinion, a good dealer network. You may pay alittle more but I believe in the end it is well worth it. My dealers stand behind thier product.

My first exposure to the stabilizing jacket was in the late 70s. I had the orange model, very basic. It had a good heavy duty bacpac, a metal band to afix it to the tank, two co2 cartridges, one relief valve mounted upfront at kidney level, one pocket, and a oral/auto inflator. I bought it used from then dive partner no. 2, and I dove the daylights out of it.

Next I bought new, the green/teal one I've shown in the pictures. This model had only one co2 cartridge ( I always blocked them off ), they changed the mounting fixture to a nylon web, they moved the relief/dump valve to the right side shoulder, still one pocket, oral/ auto inflator, good heavy duty bacpac ,that was it. To me still very simple. That jacket lasted me 29 years, doing 10 dives in Cozumel last year as well as multible local dives. Had it not started leaking, I would still be using it today.

I like the jacket style as I find it to be very simple, very durable, and simple to maintain. It's easy to take off and put on wether on land or in the water.

It's interesting to point out that the original orange model sb part #21-578-500 had 80 pounds of lift in the xl model.

Now based on the above, and the fact mine was leaking, I naturaly decided to buy a new sb model.

I believe, based on my experience, the sb jacket should provide you with years of good service.
Now comes the questions, as this well might be the single most expensive piece of equipment you buy, I would please ask you to consider the following.
I have owned 2 sport, and 1 plus, in the classic series.

Are all the bells and whistles worth an extra 261.00 dollars? Page 20 0f the 2009 sb catalog.

Would it be better to wait, as the new model year is coming out?

Should you purchase now, as the shop is looking to move old stock to make way for the new?Does your shop offer a rent to own policy? Would they allow you to try it out before you purchase it, and then deduct the rental from the price.

If they allowed you to do that, then I would take it and dive the daylights out of it. Sometimes things present themselves after many dives. You want that bc to be the same for you on the fourth dive as it was on the first. Remember at the end of the day you want to be happy.

Have you determinded what kind of diving you are going to do? Once a weekend, once a month, just on vacation. Perhaps based on usage you could get by with another model.

The reason I am asking you these questions is I would hate for you to buy an expensive item, and for one reason or another, you are not happy and thus not using it. Know this to be true, if you are not comfortable with a piece of gear, you will find yourself not using it. And I would hate to see that happen to you or anybody else just starting out.

You can go on any classified on any given day and read the following add,

For Sale: used diving gear, used twice, like new, complete.

I personally know of people who, for one reason or another did not pursue diving, after making an enormous investment. Once again I would hate this to happen to you.

I hope I have provided you with useful information to help you make an informed decision.

Happy holidays.

Also, when I first purchased mine, one of the selling points was the bc had the abaility to right an unconsiuos diver, and place him on his back on the surface, so as not to drown. I have read thier new catalog three times and I see no referrance to this ability. But I know for a fact that is one of the reasons I bought my original one from sb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom