ScubaPro D400 2nd stage freeflow problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a dumb thing and trusted somebody on Craigslist. Bought a Scubapro reg set (1st and 2nd stage, octo and big clunky console) for a measly $50.00. I figured I could get it serviced and end up with a nice reg set for cheap. :shakehead:

Yeah, right.

After spending a small fortune to get it serviced I find out that they can't get parts to fix the free flowing second stage. Doh!

Does anybody know where I can get parts for this thing??:depressed:

After 565 posts on SB, you are probably familiar with the writings of DA Aquamaster. He will probably drop into this thread shortly. but if he does not, send him a PM. I am certain that he can get you fixed up.

Any scubapro dealer should have parts. Why don't you contact DA Aquamaster on this forum and ask him to service it? He's a real expert, especially with the D400. Unless there's something really unusual wrong with the reg, a simple rebuild kit and some knowledge/patience is all it should take. The spring adjustment on the D series is a little different, and can be pretty touchy. Once it's set it should be very stable.

Of course, if you're worried about it and would like to trade it for a more conventional 2nd stage I have a G200B in excellent shape I'd be willing to trade. You can send me a PM.

What kind of a "small fortune" are you talking about? What did they do with the D400 and the rest of the rig as part of that service? Try telling the shop you may have found a parts source and ask exactly what part they think is needed.

I don't think your problem is with the Craiglist seller.

D400 should be no problem to get serviced locally. I own one and it has been serviced. It doesnt cost a lot either, I have had some minor problems with some of the local guys and the performance of scubapro regs after service. Who serviced it ? Pm if you want.

P.s. If you are just fed up with all the hassle, I'll give ya your 50 bucks back for it, and you can keep the console.

Last edited:
Any scubapro dealer should have parts. Why don't you contact DA Aquamaster on this forum and ask him to service it? He's a real expert, especially with the D400. Unless there's something really unusual wrong with the reg, a simple rebuild kit and some knowledge/patience is all it should take. The spring adjustment on the D series is a little different, and can be pretty touchy. Once it's set it should be very stable.

Of course, if you're worried about it and would like to trade it for a more conventional 2nd stage I have a G200B in excellent shape I'd be willing to trade. You can send me a PM.
Matt, I've been looking for another G200 or G250 - I have an extra G250 air barrel sitting around, and I need another G250 for a stage bottle. so let me know if you want to swap your G200 for a D400.

----

The worst case scenario with a D400 would be a damaged orifice on one of the older D400's with the one piece all metal aspirator and orifice. parts are available but a new aspirator body will have a dealer cost of $40 plus dollars and maybe $60 to the consumer - and it will also require a new (plastic) orifice for another $6-$10. The good news is that damaged orifices are very rare.

Best case, it is just a tech unfamiliar with the D400 not being able to adjust it properly and blaming the D400. It's hard to tell without looking at it.

I've never done a D400. I'd like to do one someday.

What kind of a "small fortune" are you talking about? What did they do with the D400 and the rest of the rig as part of that service? Try telling the shop you may have found a parts source and ask exactly what part they think is needed.

I don't think your problem is with the Craiglist seller.

I still have everything. They removed the D400 from the 1st stage but I still have it. Actually, I looked at the final bill again and the cost to service the Scubapro reg set was less than $70.00. I had a couple of other things serviced and a couple of tanks vis-ed so the total bill was a dusey. Hopefully I can get the free flow problem fixed.

I still have everything. They removed the D400 from the 1st stage but I still have it. Actually, I looked at the final bill again and the cost to service the Scubapro reg set was less than $70.00. I had a couple of other things serviced and a couple of tanks vis-ed so the total bill was a dusey. Hopefully I can get the free flow problem fixed.

The price does not seem unreasonable. But I'm still curious as to what parts they cant get to correct a freeflow problem. Service kits are still supported by Scubapro. I guess if the hard seat in the housing were messed up or even the plastic aspirator, spring pad, or spring; then there could be a problem. Scubapro does seem to have discontinued other parts support for the D-series so don't give up (or at least you may still find a market if your is unrepairable.

It is also possible that your shop's technician simply is not able to service the D-series.

Okay, so here's an update on the D400 2nd stage. I contacted my LDS and told them that I may be able to get the parts needed to fix my reg if their tech can tell me what it needs. The tech told me that he wouldn't use a D400, thought it looked funny, that it wasn't very popular which is why they didn't make them for very long. That isn't what I'm hearing here on SB. Another local shop is a Scuba Pro dealer. I guess I'll give them a try.

Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom