Scubapro D400/MK10 for Pony Bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently I purchased a used dive computer, and a Scubapro D400/MK10 reg came along with it at no extra charge. It belonged to a former instructor, and has been unused for a year or two. It's an older reg but in good shape and an LDS can overhaul it for me. I've been thinking about getting a pony bottle, and since I already have this reg I'm hoping I can use it for that. Is there any reason it wouldn't be suitable?

It's a little like having a classic ferrari to use for going to church on Sundays. The only thing is, like a classic sports car, finding a technician that can do good work on the D series is getting tougher all the time.

what is your primary? I likely might consider swapping seconds...

Wow, people seem to love this reg. The owner of the shop that can work on it considers it "temperamental" so I thought I should take a look at its scubaboard popularity...

Perhaps one of the finest breathing regulators of all time. Low case geometry fault. In the hands of a tech that knows what they are doing..... oh man..... total shame they were discontinued.

Wow, people seem to love this reg. The owner of the shop that can work on it considers it "temperamental" so I thought I should take a look at its scubaboard popularity...

That's code for "I have no idea how to work on this thing". Properly adjusted the D series is very stable and holds a tune extremely well.

If the D400 is a truly excellent breather, then I think that my emergency bottle is right where I want to put it.

Thanks for the info guys.

If the D400 is a truly excellent breather, then I think that my emergency bottle is right where I want to put it.

This doesn't make a lot of sense, but it won't hurt anything. To me the ideal pony reg set up would be a MK2 with an old metal case 109 2nd stage. MK2 because it's an unbalanced downstream piston that is dirt simple and almost incapable of not supplying air. There are no dynamic o-rings subject to HP air, which means a HP leak is almost unheard of, and coupled with an unbalanced 2nd stage, will give low-on-air divers some warning before the tank empties. I have read, (but not tested for obvious reasons) that the MK2 is more flood-tolerant than diaphragm or balanced piston 1st stages as well, and it makes sense given the design.

The 109 is perfect as a pony 2nd stage because it's extremely durable and can take a serious beating, has an adjustment knob which allows divers to really crank it down when not in use, preventing an inadvertent free flow. It's a very smooth breathing regulator as well, can go years between rebuilds, and service parts consist of 2 o-rings and a puck seat easily available for pennies.

But your MK10/D400 will be more than sufficient.

My cave set up consists of 2 MK10s, a D300 primary and a 109 alternate. I'm thinking of switching the MK10s out for MK15s, and may do that someday when I'm really bored, there's no decent sports on TV, and I'm trying to avoid doing something productive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom