Scubapro Go-Sport vs Go-Sport Gorilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is it the precurved blade of the GoSport Gorilla that makes it less optimal for frog kicking compared to the Eddys? Or is it that the Eddys are also stiffer than the Gorillas?

Disclaimer : I am a current GoSport and upcoming Gorilla fan …
The Eddy is stiffer. The standard Go-Sport has a little too much flex right at the toe. This softness shows up when frog kicking hard or even when doing a drag racer start flutter kicking. However, I have also explained this before, it is a minor issue with the Go-Sport. In contrast, flutter kicking, the Eddy feel like chunks of rubber but is great at frog kicks and also backs up just as good if not better than the Go-Sport.

So again, I think the Eddy is a great fin, especially for the more tech oriented diver who predominately frog kicks. The Go-Sport is a more comfortable and better all around versatile performer for the sport diver. The Eddy Flipper just exudes quality and with the nice springs straps too. The Go-Sport bungee is more comfortable to me and the Go-Sport too is a quality piece of dive equipment that will last many years of use.

Edit to add other Go-Sport qualities to my list above:

Not as slippery when walking on decks. Look at the bottom compared to the Eddy. See that contrasting silver S (black on the Gorilla), it is intentionally very sticky (compared to the monoprene) to help prevent slips.

The skegs, they can be color matched ( LSU) and they can be used like shoe taps to annoy other divers kitting up :wink:.

How cool is that! Do that with your Eddy Flippers! And she loves them, much better than her previous Quattros:

And an additional quality of the Go-Sport, it sculls very nicely. Sculling is turning the fins side to side like little propellers with my knees bent upwards using mostly my ankles to work the fins. It is a very gentle way to move forward sometimes in tight places without stirring the bottom and takes up less space to perform than frogs. And sculling is very precise for moving in on a critter subject to photo. The Go-Sport does this very well.

So in summary, yes, the Go-Sport is the BFE, Best Fin Ever!

The Eddy is stiffer. The standard Go-Sport has a little too much flex right at the toe. This softness shows up when frog kicking hard or even when doing a drag racer start flutter kicking.

I do recall you have listed these qualities of the standard Go-Sport earlier in another thread (which actually prompted me to close my research for new fins and get these, incidentally). But my question was specific to the Gorilla vs Eddys in term of stiffness.

Thanks for your inputs again…

I do recall you have listed these qualities of the standard Go-Sport earlier in another thread (which actually prompted me to close my research for new fins and get these, incidentally). But my question was specific to the Gorilla vs Eddys in term of stiffness.

Thanks for your inputs again…

Sorry for misunderstanding. The Gorilla Go-Sport version is still not as stiff as the Eddy Flipper. The Gorilla is stiffer at the blade section in the area of the toe pocket vs the original and that is about it. I do notice the additional stiffness but only when frog kicking or when I really lay into the fins from a standing start. I would say that most people who already have Go-Sports in a color they like other than orange should probably just be happy. Yes, there is a useful difference but it is not huge. The weight is the same within .1 pound per fin and all dimensions are exactly the same. So, compared to the Eddy Flipper, I would say the Eddy is still the better techy frog kicker.

Sorry for misunderstanding. The Gorilla Go-Sport version is still not as stiff as the Eddy Flipper. The Gorilla is stiffer at the blade section in the area of the toe pocket vs the original and that is about it.

Ok no worries.
What is the “toe pocket” area? Is it the outer-edge of the fin towards the center?

Ok no worries.
What is the “toe pocket” area? Is it the outer-edge of the fin towards the center?

Yes, the area of the blade at the end of the foot pocket where the toes are is what I meant. The Gorilla is a little stiffer there where that transition occurs.

I spent a week in Bonaire with the new orange gorilla fins. I was able to switch with dive buddies, so I also wore the Go Sport (non-Gorilla) and Seawing Supernova throughout the week.

First, all three are great fins. I enjoyed them all, and if you already have a Go Sport or other quality fin that suits your purposes, I agree that the Gorilla version probably isn't necessary.

The Go Sport Gorilla is, obviously, stiffer than the Go Sport. I noticed this most in the foot pocket. The original Go Sport felt like an extension of my foot and I could hardly "feel" the fin when flexing my ankle or other small kicks. That wasn't the case for the gorilla version. The stiffer material of the gorilla would not bend as easily to my foot, which made the gorilla version slightly less comfortable, but only because the original Go Sport is one of the most comfortable fins I've ever used.

I also could tell there was more flex at the end of the original Go Sport, which is what you'd expect, and so the Go Sport didn't have the same possibility of raw power as the Gorilla.

The original is supposedly slightly positive in the water, while the Gorilla is supposedly less positive and/or neutral in the water. I did not notice a difference, but I'd be curious to see a side-by-side comparison in a pool. I did notice that the Seawing Supernova was more buoyant than the Gorilla, which I liked because my feet/legs are heavy.

Overall, I thought the original Go Sport was more comfortable than the Gorilla, but I am very pleased with my purchase because I expect being able to use the Gorilla for all forms of diving going forward and I enjoy the feel of stiffer fins. I already have a strong kick, so I don't "need" a stiff blade but I do not enjoy feeling flex in a fin.

There was already discussion of the Deep6 Eddy fin, and I agree that the Gorilla is not as stiff as the Eddy, but I do find it more comfortable and more suitable for warm water diving because of the foot pocket, even if the Gorilla version isn't as comfy as the original.

I don't think comparing the Gorillas to the Seawing Supernova is all that helpful, but I certainly did not feel I was sacrificing any power with the Go Sport Gorillas. A dive buddy who owned the Seawing Supernovas felt my Gorilla fins were significantly more powerful, but I think they are similar with the Supernova just requiring slightly more elongated finning, rather than the quick responsiveness of the Go Sport.

I hope this helps!

I spent a week in Bonaire with the new orange gorilla fins. I was able to switch with dive buddies, so I also wore the Go Sport (non-Gorilla) and Seawing Supernova throughout the week.

First, all three are great fins. I enjoyed them all, and if you already have a Go Sport or other quality fin that suits your purposes, I agree that the Gorilla version probably isn't necessary.

The Go Sport Gorilla is, obviously, stiffer than the Go Sport. I noticed this most in the foot pocket. The original Go Sport felt like an extension of my foot and I could hardly "feel" the fin when flexing my ankle or other small kicks. That wasn't the case for the gorilla version. The stiffer material of the gorilla would not bend as easily to my foot, which made the gorilla version slightly less comfortable, but only because the original Go Sport is one of the most comfortable fins I've ever used.

I also could tell there was more flex at the end of the original Go Sport, which is what you'd expect, and so the Go Sport didn't have the same possibility of raw power as the Gorilla.

The original is supposedly slightly positive in the water, while the Gorilla is supposedly less positive and/or neutral in the water. I did not notice a difference, but I'd be curious to see a side-by-side comparison in a pool. I did notice that the Seawing Supernova was more buoyant than the Gorilla, which I liked because my feet/legs are heavy.

Overall, I thought the original Go Sport was more comfortable than the Gorilla, but I am very pleased with my purchase because I expect being able to use the Gorilla for all forms of diving going forward and I enjoy the feel of stiffer fins. I already have a strong kick, so I don't "need" a stiff blade but I do not enjoy feeling flex in a fin.

There was already discussion of the Deep6 Eddy fin, and I agree that the Gorilla is not as stiff as the Eddy, but I do find it more comfortable and more suitable for warm water diving because of the foot pocket, even if the Gorilla version isn't as comfy as the original.

I don't think comparing the Gorillas to the Seawing Supernova is all that helpful, but I certainly did not feel I was sacrificing any power with the Go Sport Gorillas. A dive buddy who owned the Seawing Supernovas felt my Gorilla fins were significantly more powerful, but I think they are similar with the Supernova just requiring slightly more elongated finning, rather than the quick responsiveness of the Go Sport.

I hope this helps!

Did you try having one fin of one type on one foot while having a different fin on the other foot?

And thank you for the report!!

Did you try having one fin of one type on one foot while having a different fin on the other foot?

And thank you for the report!!
I did with the Go Sport versions, but only for about 5-10 minutes.

I'll also say bigger, heavier divers may prefer the gorillas. I'm average build (185 pounds, minimal added weight) and individuals 225+ may especially benefit from a stiffer fin.

The original is supposedly slightly positive in the water, while the Gorilla is supposedly less positive and/or neutral in the water.
I can confirm the Go Sport is positively floaty. It's one of the things I like best about mine.

I intend to put the steel spring straps to make my Go-Sports a little more negative. Just need to find the steel binding barrels and screws of marine grade to go along with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom