Scubapro MK 5: can early 2-port turret be swapped out with 4/5 port turret ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering exactly how interchangeable the parts on these 2 1st-stages really are. I know the 2-port turret was/is attached with something called a 'C-clip', whereas the later 4/5 LP port versions came with a brass or stainless steel hexagonal turret bolt. If I wanted to mix-and-match parts on these regs, would it work ? Could I buy a 2-port version and swap out it's turret for a 4/5 LP port turret ? Could I swap out the ambient chamber of a 2-port version and pop it into a 4/5 LP port version ?

The very early ones had the “C” clip, the later ones (the majority) had the same turret bolt that became standard. You can definitely swap the ones with the turret bolt, but I can’t remember if the ones with the “C” clip are compatible with the conversion. I think they may be compatible, but it has been 40 years since I service one of those.

BTW, from the outside there is no way of telling if the two port turret has a “C” clip or the bolt.

You can always swap the complete ambient chamber and turret as an assembly.

All the early turrets (the 2 ports and the 4/5 ports) had the brass bolt. They work , but you don’t know there history so I would replace them with stainless steel bolts. You can get those (and other parts) from vintagedoublehose.com

Thanks for the info, Luis. It's unfortunate that there's no way from the outside appearance to distinguish which 2 port turret style is a "C" clip vs a turret bolt, unless I buy one/some and see what's inside, which is not a feasable solution.

The chances of getting one with a "C" clip are relatively small. They were only the very early ones. I haven't actually seen one since the 70's, but there is always a chance.

I had one with the C clip on a tank for my bench blow gun up until about 6yrs ago. With a lot of use over many years the clip finally deteriorated and the cap blew. The turret screw and turret is not compatible with the C clip chamber cap, you need to swap out. I did to a 4 port and recycled the defective brass. Its not a big deal to pull the cap and see which you have. With the age of the C clip and its known integrity concern and hence the reason it was replaced in design, I wouldn't suggest diving with it.

I had one with the C clip on a tank for my bench blow gun up until about 6yrs ago. With a lot of use over many years the clip finally deteriorated and the cap blew. The turret screw and turret is not compatible with the C clip chamber cap, you need to swap out. I did to a 4 port and recycled the defective brass. Its not a big deal to pull the cap and see which you have. With the age of the C clip and its known integrity concern and hence the reason it was replaced in design, I wouldn't suggest diving with it.

No worries, I never planned to dive with any '2 LP port' versions anyway as two LP ports are insufficient for my needs, but might have considered using them as parts donors for my later version MK 5's, but I'm not buying any afterall as I can't X-ray them before purchase to see if they'd work for my needs.

No worries, I never planned to dive with any '2 LP port' versions anyway as two LP ports are insufficient for my needs, but might have considered using them as parts donors for my later version MK 5's, but I'm not buying any afterall as I can't X-ray them before purchase to see if they'd work for my needs.

No need for x-ray vision. You should be able to see the end of the turret bolt through an open port.

No need for x-ray vision. You should be able to see the end of the turret bolt through an open port.

I've never seen any E-bay seller post any product photos of the open ports THAT close up. :)

Back
Top Bottom