Scubapro Mk10 - low intermediate pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great point, Rusty! But, the cases are near the same, the diaphragm are near the same...anyone know for sure?

As long as we are talking with the SP experts in this realm...anyone know if a newer S600 metal air barrel will fit an early case [Gen 1 or Gen2]? :)

Yes, a bit of a hijack...my apologies!

That performance is a little off, IMO.
I just checked my T2 and got the following numbers:
Static IP: 135
Full purge dynamic IP: 116
I'm not sure what a magnehelic reading at 110 means, unless you have an adjustable regulator to provide varying IP's to the second stage, because cracking effort is an almost static measurement.
So I don't really understand what gave you 1.8".

However, I do have a variable regulator for checking second stages and here is the performance of the excellent balancing of the Atomic at IP's from 135 down to 65 PSI:
Cracking effort:
135 = 0.9" (I tune light!)
125 = 0.95"
115 = 1.2"
105 = 1.4"
95 = 1.5"
85 = 1.6"
75 = 1.7"
65 = 1.8"

An Atomic second should not have that much degradation in performance with that little change in IP. Similarly, the dynamic IP drop of your first stage is slightly more than I would have expected. It could be friction in a degrading HP Oring, but that's just a guess. As for the second stage number, I'd really need to know more about what you were measuring when your IP was stated to be 110.

Either way, maybe time for a service.
When the IP dip to 110 psi from a medium breath I glanced over at the mag gauge It was reading closer to 1.6 inches of water, as the IP quickly recovered (on the same breath) to 133 it went down to .9, I just did a full purge IP 115.
This is a T3 I only have 60 dives on it, last year my buddy took hers (older titan) and mine in to the local LDS in Fort Lauderdale for service. Funny thing is hers came back with a bag of parts mine came back with no bag of parts. Wondering what they even did with mine, frustrating, I feel now there is something wrong all though it breathes fine under water.

That's maybe not so bad, after all.

If I am interpreting your comments correctly, what you have noticed was a dynamic inhalation effort. I wouldn't relate that to the IP of the first stage as much as I would related to the flow characteristics of your second stage. A lot of it depends on how big and fast a breath you were taking.

In other words, if you were just barely sipping, 1.8 inches at 110 PSI IP is understandable, if suboptimal. But if you were inhaling hard and fast during that breath, I would expect Venturi assistance of the regulator to drop your magnehelic reading closer to zero.
Putting those two together, if you had 1.8 inches with a sipping breath, that's a problem. Similarly, if you had 1.8" during a hard inhalation when Venturi was expected to assist you, that's also a problem. But what's not clear is exactly what was happening at the moment you noticed 1.8 inches. I wish I could be more help.

I would refer you to Regulator Savvy, by Pete Wolfinger. Best $80 you can spend.
Or PM me if a conversation would be an.easier way to get to the bottom of this.

As long as we are talking with the SP experts in this realm...anyone know if a newer S600 metal air barrel will fit an early case [Gen 1 or Gen2]? :)

I have a gen 2 upgraded to the new metal barrel and cover. Basically a gen 4 now.

Very interesting, Mr. Sunday!! Did you use the new knob as well?

I could not find an S600 schematic newer than 2006....

That performance is a little off, IMO.
I just checked my T2 and got the following numbers:
Static IP: 135
Full purge dynamic IP: 116
I'm not sure what a magnehelic reading at 110 means, unless you have an adjustable regulator to provide varying IP's to the second stage, because cracking effort is an almost static measurement.
So I don't really understand what gave you 1.8".

However, I do have a variable regulator for checking second stages and here is the performance of the excellent balancing of the Atomic at IP's from 135 down to 65 PSI:
Cracking effort:
135 = 0.9" (I tune light!)
125 = 0.95"
115 = 1.2"
105 = 1.4"
95 = 1.5"
85 = 1.6"
75 = 1.7"
65 = 1.8"

An Atomic second should not have that much degradation in performance with that little change in IP. Similarly, the dynamic IP drop of your first stage is slightly more than I would have expected. It could be friction in a degrading HP Oring, but that's just a guess. As for the second stage number, I'd really need to know more about what you were measuring when your IP was stated to be 110.

Either way, maybe time for a service.
Thanks rsingler, this is really good information it’s nice to have some benchmark measurements I wish there was more dynamic specs out there. Yeah I was just worried about the dynamic IP dipping down to 110 when I did inhale on it... I’ll PM you later today if you don’t mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom