Scubapro MK17 vs MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can still get the X650 at some LDS but don't expect a discount price for it. They probable had them before Scubapro discountined them so they paid there full price for them. The ones going for $489 with the MK17 some LDS got them from Scubapro at a discount price and are passing it along to you.

Yep that could be true .... I am still doing the HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

I would say call around and see who will be willing to work with ya on the price and if they are still high start saying hmmm interesting I have seen allot of dive shops dropping there price because the x650 is being discontinued. maybe that will get them to budge on there MSRP alittle or maybe alot!!

Hey Bob,

I am about an hour west of you in VA. I do not think you will go wrong with a scubabpro Mk 17/ G250 or G250V (soon to be released in the US). The most bang for your buck and great performance.

The Mk 17 breathes beautifully at depth or shallow, and is an amazing cold water reg. It performs equally as well in warm water... it is not a reg that i will outgrow. This is a versatile reg, and environmentally sealed. The Mk 25 is not enviro sealed (the piston is exposed). I do a lot of blackwater and mud diving, and the enviro seal is something i am comfortable with.

Some techies will say that the Mark 25 offers better hose routing for doubles with the LP port on the bottom of the piston. Not that much of an issue to me.

I am a fan of SP regs, but recognize lots of other good ones out there. If you decide SP is right for you, I would definately buy one through an authorized dealer who will support free parts for life (you pay for shop labor regardless).

If you simply want a backup (pony reg), hard to beat a Mk 2 plus (Has an extra LP port compared to the initial Mk 2). I either use a Mk 18 (balanced piston with a turret similar to a Mk 19, but not enviro sealed) or a Mk 2. My Mk 2 was purchased in 1989... and has been trusted for many years.

I agree with everything vablackwater just said. Mk 2 has a piston a thin plastic shim for adjusting the IP and a spring, possibly another shim on the other side of the spring. That is it in the way of moving parts. Very simple, very reliable, there is a reason so many dive shops use these as rentals. Don't forget how most renters/students treat the equipment, dragging it through the sand dropping it because they left their tank standing up...
you said you want a backup reg but didn't specify if its a backup you keep in the car, or as a pony, or what. You can pick up a MK2/R195 for about $250.
Yes Scubapro is discontinuing the X650. I dont know if they still have any but they were blowing them out with great pricing. If you can get your hands on one, its a great reg. If you can only find one at full price...Id pass. You can get an S600 which is smaller, or a G250 which is the same thing as the S600 but a bit bigger and should be a bit cheaper, the 555 is non adjustable, which is not a big thing but it is a real nice option to have. As the year goes on(you do have it serviced every year) and the adjustable orifice takes a seat(and the tech tried to give you the nicest lightest breathing reg), it might start to ever so slightly free flow, then all you do is turn in the knob a half twist and you're fine.

Just talked to my LDS again and he said he could knock $125 off the MSRP for the X650. Any ideas of likely pricing for the G250?

stablgr:
Just talked to my LDS again and he said he could knock $125 off the MSRP for the X650. Any ideas of likely pricing for the G250?

I don't know, but the G250V has a metal air barrel which adds some moisture to the air (less drymouth) and improves cold water performance. Between that and the various problems that the X650 has had, personally I'd be willing to pay more for the G250V. The G250V is essentially a "reissue" of the older style G250 (pre HP) which has become a time tested favorite. Next time you happen to be on ebay, have a look to see what the older style G250s in mint condition go for; you'll be surprised.

Of course, if you want the best value, I'd get an old 109 or balanced adjustable metal case 2nd stage. You can find one for under $50, get it serviced by a GOOD tech, and you'll have a great performing 2nd stage that will last forever.

I know this is going off topic a little but how does the Dive Rite Hurricane compare with these Scubapro regs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom