ScubaPro MK25s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just acquired a pair of these, and I want to know what people have to say about them? How is their performance in cold water, and what temperature have you had them down to? Any suggestions on ownership?

Advice from the experience is greatly appreciated.

Extremely easy breathing especially when coupled with a balanced 2nd stage. I use them for both recreational & technical diving. They will give me all the air I could ever need. As for cold water,... probably not the best suited. Because they are a high performance regulator capable of delivering a lot of air, they can sometimes tend to freeze up easily. I commonly dive them in 42 degree water & out of 200+ dives in that cold water, have only had 1 feeze- up & free flow. At that time, I was at 95 ft in the local quarry. The water was 42 degrees below 60 ft. I was in double cylinders, breathing off my secondary regulator & my primary was shut down (for a drill) with great difficulty. I accidently tapped the purge button when I released my wing to help me reach the valve. I breathed off the freeflowing regulator to the surface (with double cylinders I had plenty of air to make it). That little tap was all that it took. Like I said, although, perhaps not the best for cold water environments, they can be dove in cold water. The big thing is to be prepared for when it does freeze up & be able to deal with it safely. It will not be a matter of "if" it happens, it will be "when" it happens.

I have just acquired a pair of these, and I want to know what people have to say about them? How is their performance in cold water, and what temperature have you had them down to? Any suggestions on ownership?

Advice from the experience is greatly appreciated.

They are a popular reg for a significant percentage of rec and tec divers. Most of the upper echelon GUE instructors/WKPP support divers utilize. Mine have worked flawlessly for 10 years. In addition, they have a cold water kit available to upgrade for well, colder water...

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I was told the Mk25/S600 would go as cold as I wanted, interesting.

Mine is new last month...wonder if anything has changed in them.

My reg set is a little over 2 yrs old, no modifications. I think in my case, it was more of a freak thing, bad timing of when I hit the purge button. It happened so fast, I'm really not 100% that was the cause. I do know it did freeze up & free flow. They can do it.... In fact almost any regulator can at those temps. When the temperature of the air as it leaves the cylinder, is about 10 degrees lower than ambient temperature. At 42 degree water temperature, that puts it at about 32 degrees which, of course, is when ice forms. Some regulators do have ways to try to keep that ambient temperatures above freezing & seems to be pretty successful.

My two primary regulator first stages are SP Mk25s. I love mine. I have had them to 40F and in 22F air temp with no problems. Easy to route hoses.

In addition, they have a cold water kit available to upgrade for well, colder water...

Do you have more info about these cold water kits. I dont see them on the scubapro website.

The kit is not for sale because it's not a kit per se, but some small imrpovements around the piston, as described in their Engineering Bulletin #272 from 2002:

2) Improved cold water resistance: referring to the attached figure, the following
has been modified to attain a higher cold water resistance.
a) The bushing at the base of the piston has been thickened, to provide more
thermal insulation (detail T in figure).
b) There is a step on the bushing that presses on the upper head o-ring.
This, in conjunction with a new o-ring on the neck (detail O2 in the figure,
o-ring type 01.050.360), maintains a dry volume, which also provides
additional thermal insulation (no lubricant is needed in this dry volume).
c) A small rib at the edge of the bushing increases the path followed by ice if
it forms (ice typically would form at the stem of the piston then travel
outwards toward the spring base coil).
d) The piston stem is now mirror finished. This provides the lowest possible
friction, even in the absence of lubricant. Lubricant is now added, in very
small amounts, only to the piston stem o-ring, and not directly to the stem
itself. At very low temperatures typical in ice diving, traces of lubricant on
the piston stem act as nucleation sites for ice.
e) The sleeve (detail S in figure) is now made of a new material that retains
its softness and elasticity even at very low temperatures typical of ice
diving. This sleeve can be either black or neutral color.
f) We reversed our approach to the bushing 01.060.607. We had introduced
a cut along its axial length to allow it to shrink in cold water without
choking the piston. With the new modifications this is no longer necessary,
and the removal of the cut diminishes the chances of whistling by better
centering the piston.

Most of these should already be in your MK25 and good for a few °F less :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom