ScubaPro not Allowing Testing of Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently received my latest Rodales and read that ScubaPro has requested that Scuba Lab no longer test ANY of their gear. Does anyone know why? Has to be some history there somewhere. I don't recall reading where Scuba Lab provided poor press on their gear but I cetainly could have missed a story.

All you ScubaPro die hards lets hear from you.

Based on my personal experience with a company I used to swear by (prior to their acquisition by Johnson), I think the quality of their product has declined and they don't want users to find out... until after they purchase the product. I dive only with my older (pre-Johnson) Scubapro gear at this point and doubt I'll buy anything new from them in the future, especially if this is true.\

Dr. Bill

Ari once bubbled...
I don't think that Rodale's really needs their approval for testing anything.

Ari :)

Ari

I agree but it the short disclaimer in Rodales made it sound like they made the request and were denied. But they certainly could purchase the product and test it without mfg. approval. The whole thing sounded weird to me.

It is possible, like some auto magazines that they are highly funded by other major manufacturers, not saying rodales bashes them, but maybe they don't want to do business with these type of people. I don't see any problems with their equipment, it all works great for me.

Cheers

Based on my personal experience with a company I used to swear by (prior to their acquisition by Johnson),

Correct me if I'm way off base, but what would a corporate acquisition have to do with product development and quality. I didn't here that Johnson cleaned house and fired everyone that made the company sucesssful in the first place. I understand some policies and procedures have likely been changed at SP, but the whole Johnson/pre-Johnson seems a little outlandish. I also believe Johnson has a pretty good track record with the other products and services the company is involved in today.

I don't think that Rodale's really needs their approval for testing anything.

Right, they don't need permision, but most publications do testing on equiptment alloted to jounalist "fleets" at no charge. Unless it is a moronic magazine like "Consumer Reports" (possible the worst place to get a fair product review), Rodales isn't going to purchase the stuff to review it, thats not how it works. I'm sure its a pissing match between the two parties over some review.

But really, who cares, Rodales is a pitiful magazine anyway, more ads than stories and still want to charge you five bucks.

....my impression of Rodales is that they only 'test' items that they are given for free by the manufacturers to test.....they don't actually go to a LDS and buy random samples for testing like the average consumer. This saves Rodales money, and gives the manufacturers plenty of time to submit 'ringers' for testing......thus, there's no need to worry about ScubaPro gear getting bad reviews, since Rodales won't include it for testing unless it's provided for free anyway.

Karl

Some manufacturers are concerned that they have no control over the test protocols and also that they have no way of insuring the product is used correctly.

I have always marvelled at how scuba products get tested by mainstream scuba magazines. They call the company who then sends them hand picked products for testing if and only if they want them tested.

Magazines for my other hobby (astronomy) for the most part do it better. They buy the telescope or other equipment to be tested using an anyonomous buyer and are ensured of getting the same randomly sampled item any other buyer would get.

In either case though there are limits to how scathing you can be with a review of a product made by a potential advertiser.

What ever happened to Undercurrents? They used to be a non advertising publication that tended to give no punches pulled reviews.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
Some manufacturers are concerned that they have no control over the test protocols and also that they have no way of insuring the product is used correctly.

I have always marvelled at how scuba products get tested by mainstream scuba magazines. They call the company who then sends them hand picked products for testing if and only if they want them tested.

Magazines for my other hobby (astronomy) for the most part do it better. They buy the telescope or other equipment to be tested using an anyonomous buyer and are ensured of getting the same randomly sampled item any other buyer would get.

In either case though there are limits to how scathing you can be with a review of a product made by a potential advertiser.

What ever happened to Undercurrents? They used to be a non advertising publication that tended to give no punches pulled reviews.

You are right on with this post. Agree completely. For testing of any product to be fair, the product should be obtained as it would be by an end user. Mfg. can send improved products or even test products and call them production models.

Yes you have to be careful of your reviews but if you have an inferior model then you have an inferior model.

Undercurrent was a good pub.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom