ScubaPro not Allowing Testing of Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and that is to buy the product at retail, with a buyer who is NOT known to be a corporate buyer (that is, someone calls or walks into a place with a PERSONAL credit card, buys the product, then is reimbursed)

Why? Because its the only way you can be sure that you're getting product out of the normal retail product stream.

Anything else is an open invitation for the manufacturer to give you a "special" for testing - specially tuned, specially made, checked beforehand at a higher level of scrutiny, etc. Of course no normal person will EVER get a product that is that good!

Perhaps SP got "caught" giving Rodale's a "ringer" and now is upset at their intent to say something about it..... who knows what really happened - but this little flap says more about the poor protocol Rodale's uses than anything else.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
What ever happened to Undercurrents? They used to be a non advertising publication that tended to give no punches pulled reviews.

Nothing happened. I have the August 2003 issue right in front of me.

where did you get your copy? Never see it on any stands even in Borders.

I used to work in the field of mergers and acquisitions and have seen examples of what a larger corporation can do after it acquires a smaller one. There is pressure to cut manufacturing costs and enhance profit margins in part to help pay off the acquisition.

While I can't directly say this has happened post-Johnson acquisition of SCUBAPro, I have noticed a decline in quality and materials in the products, especially BCD's, over the past years. I dove a SP Double Black BC for well over 10 years before the CO-2 inflator grommet rotted through and couldn't be repaired. They gave me a new Classic for a good price in exchange. However the new Classic had to go back in the shop three times in six months for the same product.

Our LDS's here have had problems with newer ScubaPro BCD products due to what appears to be cheaper materials substitution.

I have heard from ScubaPro equipment techs working for regional LDS'es that say SP is using cheaper parts in their newer regs.

I still dive ScubaPro regs (older Mk10/G250's) and use an old X-Tek BCD and am pleased with these older products. Will continue to use them as long as they can be serviced.

Dr. Bill

Sp changed the D400 orifice from a chrome plated brass part to a cheaper part with a plastic insert. The explanation I got was that this was due to corrosion probolems with the old all brass part (apparently the corrosion issues just cropped up after 20 yrs). I suspect the new part was cheaper to make but performance has really sufferred. I have also noted problems with new poppet assemblies during overhauls some of them just plain leak. SP has killed what was subjectively one of their smoothest and most natural breathing regs and not surprisingly it has been dscontinued this year.

The older R190s have a metal orifice crown. The newer R190s and R380s have a plastic one.

The older regs breathe significantly better.

The S600 doesn't seem to have problems with the plastic orifice, but it has a tunable balance chamber and the anti-engraving feature.....

One of our local LDS'es had to return ALL of his ScubaPro BCD's of a specific model because they were unacceptably deteriorated after a single season due to inferior materials substituted for the materials used in previous years.

Dr. Bill

Indeed, these are all great points you bring up, different opinions and ideas. In my opinion, SP products represent good value. I saw my divemasters using SP durring training (only later I learned they bought them at or below cost at SP workshops, smart move on SP's part). The gear I rented on my first two dive trips was SP. Parts and service seems to be no problem where ever you may be in the world (try to get an oddball high end reg rebuilt in Honduras or some other 3rd world spot, bet you miss some dives). Indeed some of the things we love get lost in the product's progression, but that is true in any manufactured item. I beleive the new SP MK25 has received rave reviews from just about everyone who has used it, gotta be doing something right.

PS. I can't speak for scuba equiptment, but I know for a fact that car manufacturers do nothing special when building the cars that are given to jounalist. They may do a more comprehensive pre delivery inspection, but nothing like a "ringer". I have seen them break (even a new Benz) while in journalist hands. The only difference between the one you buy and the one the jounalist gets is the mechanic is told to " make sure everything works, this is going into a journalist pool" Whoopteedoo, like I care, I prepare vehicles the same way everytime, not like I get paid more to check it twice. Oh, BTW, I happen to be an auto technician for a major manufacturer.

Panama Jack once bubbled...

Correct me if I'm way off base, but what would a corporate acquisition have to do with product development and quality.

You might want to review the AMF / Harley Davidson example...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom