scubapro or apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I am looking at getting another set of regulators. I live in Cebu, Philippines. They have both Apek and Scuba Pro here. And they can be serviced here. The 2 regs I am looking at is the Apex XTX 200 or the Scuba Pro MK17/A700. Any suggestions or comments?
Thank you in advance.
Kurt in Cebu

I mentioned earlier that I own the Apex XTX200 and can say without a doubt that the routing on doubles is really great.

There is all this talk about the MK's being great at routing and yes that is true, but I have seen the routing with XTX200 and am very impressed how clean it is.

The 1st stage on the Apex's regs are angled differently than most other regulators on the market. Having this angle gives you an added precision when you move them into place.

I might have a picture of them and will post so you can see how clean it is; I think and it's my opinion that it is as clean as the scubapro's, since I see them a lot in my diving zone and can make that comparison from sight.

MG

MG - the issue with routing on apsis regs is mainly that hoses wear over time. I'll repeat, it is a minor inconvenience and they still do the job. I just see more long hoses blow out on works regs after a few hundred dives than on mk25s which rout more directly. Mk25s also route beautifully on stages and frankly the apeks don't.

Do remember we are debating the nuances between three brands of reg which are all good. Best to stop trying to think in black and White and start to see the shades of grey.

MG - the issue with routing on apsis regs is mainly that hoses wear over time. I'll repeat, it is a minor inconvenience and they still do the job. I just see more long hoses blow out on works regs after a few hundred dives than on mk25s which rout more directly. Mk25s also route beautifully on stages and frankly the apeks don't.

Do remember we are debating the nuances between three brands of reg which are all good. Best to stop trying to think in black and White and start to see the shades of grey.

As they route straight down beside the tank, I'm trying to imagine what causes the wear on the long hose that would cause them to blow out sooner than any other. Or how a Mk25 routs hoses better than any other on a stage. How many hoses do you use on a stage, & what direction do you route them?

Maybe like this?

mk25front.jpg

Tek3s:

apeks_06194_3.jpg

DSTs with 5th port and Miflex hoses:

IMG_1394.JPG

DS4s:

v2yyir.jpg

Kern was asking about stage regs.

I have Mk25s on mine. The swivel is alternately nice and annoying, but having two ports pointing down when stowed is nice (I don't know how Apeks positions theirs).

DSTs have a swivel, so very similar. DS4s have no swivel, but still 1 HP, & 1 LP with hoses routed straight down.

Kern was asking about stage regs

Oh, missed that... the photos are still relevant though

I use DSTs for my stages - I don't see how the routing could be any better, both stowed and deployed, although I understand that some people might eschew the turret

Yes they need tidying up in the below photo, best one I have though

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 103
hi everybody.
im a scuba instructor in quebec,canada.
im getting into teck diving.
i would like to know info on regs.
i would like to know between the scubapro mk 25 et the apex tek 3
which one is better.
ill do my full cave course pretty soon,i plan to do trimix next year.
also for the wing ,halcyon explorer 55 lbs or the evolve 60 lbs.ill dive with 2 119 steel thanks.
i dive now with an infinity.

thank you.
claude

I would go with apeks in quebec or MK17 , you can dive MK25 if you are very very careful in waters close to 40F and when it's above 0 in the air. Below that I think it's not worth the risk. I saw people diving 25 in winter and it did not free flow but it was in a 39f water and they were careful not to breath on the surface.

We have a set of Tek 3 in the family and I like it. I found Mk17 is as good, as well as Zeagle Flathead VI (I have 4 of them) and I dive them a lot.

I saw all of them flowing below 37 - it happens.

Most technical people that I see dive Apekses in Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto area. I think you cannot go wrong with Apeks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom